Noob question on bar wear.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFenn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been granted custodianship of my dad's Stihl 028 AV. ( That means it's still his saw, but I have to do all the cutting now.) When I accepted custodianship, it was set up with a 3/8"-7 drive socket, 18" bar, and 3/8" .050 gauge chain. I can visually see that the gap in the bar rail is much larger than what would be needed for .050 drive links. I measured with my digital micrometer at several spots and got figures ranging from .065 to .070. The markings on the bar are worn off, but it does have a 3/8" inside a circle stamped into the metal at the end of bar. At the saw end of the bar are two stamped numbers, 38817 and 659WF.

My question is this? Is it possible that this saw has the wrong chain on it? I did a search and there is a 3/8" .063 gauge chain. Or is it more likely that the bar is just worn? My dad got the saw in the mid-80's, I believe.

Most all Stihl 3/8 bars are .050" gauge, it's likely worn out especially if it's the original bar. I will guess the rails are probably mushroomed pretty badly at this point too. I would saw if the saws still running good, treat her to some new cutting attachments. New bar, chain, and sprocket rim or drum. If the carbs never been rebuilt probably when I go ahead and do that and add in a new fuel line and filter, and air filter This is all pretty basic maintenance stuff for a saw of that age.

Looking at the info on that saw looks like most of them came with .325 chain which is often .063" maybe he has the wrong combination of chain, sprocket and bar.

Thank you for the reply. I considered whether it might have been set up for .325 chain, but the sprocket is clearly marked 3/8" as well as the bar. It appears that there were some MS series Stihl saws with 3/8" .063 setups and perhaps the bar has been replaced with one of those.

Do the two stamped numbers on the saw end of the bar offer any clues as to whether it's a .050 or a .063 bar?

Most all Stihl 3/8 bars are .050" gauge, it's likely worn out especially if it's the original bar. I will guess the rails are probably mushroomed pretty badly at this point too. I would saw if the saws still running good, treat her to some new cutting attachments. New bar, chain, and sprocket rim or drum. If the carbs never been rebuilt probably when I go ahead and do that and add in a new fuel line and filter, and air filter This is all pretty basic maintenance stuff for a saw of that age.

Looking at the info on that saw looks like most of them came with .325 chain which is often .063" maybe he has the wrong combination of chain, sprocket and bar.

Thank you for the reply. I considered whether it might have been set up for .325 chain, but the sprocket is clearly marked 3/8" as well as the bar. It appears that there were some MS series Stihl saws with 3/8" .063 setups and perhaps the bar has been replaced with one of those.

Do the two stamped numbers on the saw end of the bar offer any clues as to whether it's a .050 or a .063 bar?

3/8 .063 is not common on stihl saws, Stihl is big on the 3/8 .050 can't seem to find any info on the bar with those numbers. It's possible that it has a Picco setup, do you see Picco written on the clutch drum?

3/8 .063 is not common on stihl saws, Stihl is big on the 3/8 .050 can't seem to find any info on the bar with those numbers. It's possible that it has a Picco setup, do you see Picco written on the clutch drum?

Nope, just 3/8-7 on the clutch drum. And the chain is definitely standard profile 3/8". And the end of the bar is marked with 3/8" inside a circle.

Attachments

• 20191028_152013.jpg
    20191028_152013.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20191028_152754.jpg
    20191028_152754.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 39

You can't find Stihl 3/8" in 0.050" around my neck of the woods. Everything on the shelf around here is 0.063", both 3/8" and .325".

My dealer orders .050 in because I ask for it, but I think I'm the only one...

You can't find Stihl 3/8" in 0.050" around my neck of the woods. Everything on the shelf around here is 0.063", both 3/8" and .325".

My dealer orders .050 in because I ask for it, but I think I'm the only one...
For some reason .325 is .063. But all 3/8 is .050" even past 105 DL and all full comp. And from what I know that's how it is throughout the Midwest. I get .058 too but only at one shop due to my request.[emoji111]

Pic of the saw end of the bar? There are #s there that will tell what you have.

I can't get down to the shop for a photo, but there are two numbers stamped into the saw end of the bar. They are 38817 and 659WF. The usual markings (Part no., Pitch, Gauge, No. of Drive Links) that should have been etched into the paint are gone along with the paint.

For some reason .325 is .063. But all 3/8 is .050" even past 105 DL and all full comp. And from what I know that's how it is throughout the Midwest. I get .058 too but only at one shop due to my request.[emoji111]

I noticed other 028 owners on this site prefer an 18" bar with .325 chain. Since I need a new bar and chain, do you think I should replace the clutch drum with one with a .325 sprocket and make the switch? Dad's not likely to notice.

Thank you to all who replied.

I'm switching the 028AV to a .325 pitch, .063 gauge chain and bar and going with Stihl products. The part no. I get for the 18" bar is 3003-008-6817, and the rim sprocket is part no. 0000-642-1236. I'm also buying a loop of full chisel and a loop of semi-chisel for the dirty work. Does this look o.k.? Any other advice?

Thank you to all who replied.

I'm switching the 028AV to a .325 pitch, .063 gauge chain and bar and going with Stihl products. The part no. I get for the 18" bar is 3003-008-6817, and the rim sprocket is part no. 0000-642-1236. I'm also buying a loop of full chisel and a loop of semi-chisel for the dirty work. Does this look o.k.? Any other advice?
I prefer 050 over 063 in small saws...a tad less weight and mass for a small cc saw.

When 028s were being sold around here they often had a full length 3/8 cutter that was a reduced height. The marking on the chain was T6, the chain is .375 x .063. I had/have lots of old Stihl bars in 16”-24” that take .375 x .063.

A some point during the 026/036 era, .375 switched to mostly .050. Do not know why.

Currently I use T6 chain on my mills, nobody wants it for crosscutting(slow, compared to newer chains) so it can be had cheap. The last roll I bought has “028 only” written on it as a dealer note.

I found a link to a 2016 Stihl Chain and Bar catalog from another post on this site, and it may offer a clue about one of the stamped numbers (38817) on the end of the bar. Of the bars listed in the catalog for the 028 and 028 Super, the part number for the 3/8 pitch .050 gauge 18"Rollomatic ES bar is 3003 000 8817. I suspect the first of the five digits indicates either the first digit of the part number or the 3/8 pitch, and the last four digits indicate the last four digits of the part number.

To those who recommended switching to a .325 pitch .050 gauge setup, I do not see an 18" bar offered by Stihl in that size. The old man is not going to go for a non-Stihl product on his saw. If you have suggestions or advice, please share.

I found a link to a 2016 Stihl Chain and Bar catalog from another post on this site, and it may offer a clue about one of the stamped numbers (38817) on the end of the bar. Of the bars listed in the catalog for the 028 and 028 Super, the part number for the 3/8 pitch .050 gauge 18"Rollomatic ES bar is 3003 000 8817. I suspect the first of the five digits indicates either the first digit of the part number or the 3/8 pitch, and the last four digits indicate the last four digits of the part number.

To those who recommended switching to a .325 pitch .050 gauge setup, I do not see an 18" bar offered by Stihl in that size. The old man is not going to go for a non-Stihl product on his saw. If you have suggestions or advice, please share.
Most of the .325 Stihl stuff is in .063 gauge

Latest posts

Back