noodleing... with or without clutch cover.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
When ever I do any noodling I leave my clutch cover on but it always fills with the long stringy "chips". I know there is prolly no damage occurring but would it be better to run with out it?

When ever I do any noodling I leave my clutch cover on but it always fills with the long stringy "chips". I know there is prolly no damage occurring but would it be better to run with out it?

No.

Not worth it if something gets caught or chain goes flying.

I think that some saws (MS460?) have different side covers that allow better chip flow?

Philbert

Noodles are longest when the saw is parallel to the log.

If you noodle at a slight angle (a bit tip up or tip down) the noodles are a bit smaller and a bit less prone to clogging.

If I ever pick up a parts saw, I'd love to snag the cover and cut out the back to allow a better noodle flow. Not always but usually when I'm noodling, I'm doing up a bunch of blocks at once so swapping covers wouldn't be that big of deal.

I have the same problem; I try to sweep the chips as they pile up with my foot as I move down the wood. It’s that last little bit when you close to the ground that really clogs things up. By then I can’t sweep with the foot, so I stop, and sweep them back by hand.
I’ve never considered trimming the cover, but it may present a safety hazard if the chain comes off. Those long chips can pile up fast and clog it up pretty good.

I wouldn't take the clutch cover off of my saws, but I don't really have a problem with clogging either. I usually only cut down 1/4 of the way through a round, then I stick a steel splitting wedge in there. Most of the time, they will fly right open. I find it alot quicker than gnawing all the way down through a round.

If it clogs you can definitely get damage. Noodles get trapped between the chain and sprocket, possibly causing bearing, seal or chain failure. On some saws with an inboard clutch they can find their way between the clutch and engine housing, possible starting a fire. I'm not excited about running without the cover, or even modifying it. I personally just pay attention and when the saw stop spitting noodles, I stop and clean out the cover.

I was noodleing some big pieces of dry oak once with my old Poulan 245. It has a rear-facing jug, and so, of course the muffler is just behind the clutch cover and it gets pretty hot back there. I smelled something burning, and looked down to see that my saw was on fire from the built up noodles getting too close to the muffler!!!! Luckily I had a jug of drinking water close at hand. Something to think about.

I would leave the cover on.

You could buy a spare cover and cut a larger opening in the rear for noodling.

If you have a saw that can accept the double dawgs (for example the 660). Put the roller chain catch on and remove the the static aluminum chain catch. Since I have done this, I have not had noodle clogging.

Yep, my 440 has a stock chain catcher and it noodles much better without it. Tank takes a beating when you toss one tho.

I wouldn't take the clutch cover off of my saws, but I don't really have a problem with clogging either. I usually only cut down 1/4 of the way through a round, then I stick a steel splitting wedge in there. Most of the time, they will fly right open. I find it alot quicker than gnawing all the way down through a round.

I keep several plastic wedges in my back pocket, so when or if the saw gap starts closing up and binding up the chain, I stick a wedge in there to hold it open so I can get all the way through much easer. There cheap and don’t wreck you chain if you hit the wedge.
I also found that the aluminum chain stop is bent too far upwards it clogs up faster, so I bend them down just a little bit and that helps a lot.

Last edited:
I have a saw that I use only for noodling, and it has a cut back clutch cover. Or you could just modify a spare cover and swap out. It wold only be worth it if you were doing a full tank, otherwise you can just rake them out with a stick.

I also lit a brush fire with a clogged saw. And yes it was a 245 poulan. I just about burned a whole big area in the middle of springfield, MO. I was lucky the fire dept showed up because it was about to get bad quick. I am pretty sure I am not welcome to cut there anymore.

Dan

well I usually noodle with my 281. I do have dual dogs to it and have the chain guard removed. I'll have to try the more of a 45 or 22 degree angle trick. I don't have a problem with the pile up on the ground cause if I have gone that low, I'll just role the log over. Any one try and cut to the 90 of typical noodling...talk about sucks.

Latest posts

Back