Noodles anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Gott

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
2ed04ceef7a35f0e793d21f71afa35c8.jpg
6bdfee2bc1ea778f1cf6943029974a29.jpg
. Did a little cuttin today. My wife loves it when I noodle then she gets more prime bedding for her horse stalls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm setting up two saws to noodle the big rounds off two 36" dbh Red Firs. MS441 with a 20" new chain and a 361 with a 20 or 24" chain. Spare in the truck will be my old well used but fanastic runner MS310 with 20" chain.

Should make a mountain of noodles. I'll suggest the owners offer them to some farmer. I already supplied my neighbor with a couple bags full for her chicken's nest boxes.

Harry K

My 440 will plug up if too much noodling and I don't clean out. Husky 55 is even worse.

Angling the saw reduces that somewhat but it also slows down the cutting. I used the 441 noodling a few months ago and things went verrry well indeed. I am tempted to buy a second clutch cover and do some judicious cutting on it to provide more chip clearance just for noodling.

Harry K

Don't seemed to have any troubles with the 2186 plugging up, the 288 works well also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to sharpen a lot of cedar fence posts and used the noodles for the dog box to keep the fleas off, worked real well.

noodles make excellent kindling.

Do you have to let that 'dry' for a period of time, or can you use it for kindling right away. Just starting out here......Ive been piling my 'scraps' but in the meantime using plow and hearth fatwood to get started

thanks

It would make decent tinder very quickly. For a slip of wood that is less than match stick thickness it doesn't take long to get very dry. You would still want kindling to go with the noodles tinder.

Just back from my dealer Took him the two 32" loops I rocked out. Checked on buying a second clutch cover for the 441CM to modify for more chip clearance, Seems there are two different covers available, one with a bit more clearance $67. I decided it wasn't worth it (may change my mind) and asked for a 20" skip tooth chain. I'll see if that makes any difference on chip jamming.
Harry K

Just back from my dealer Took him the two 32" loops I rocked out. Checked on buying a second clutch cover for the 441CM to modify for more chip clearance, Seems there are two different covers available, one with a bit more clearance $67. I decided it wasn't worth it (may change my mind) and asked for a 20" skip tooth chain. I'll see if that makes any difference on chip jamming.
Harry K
see if you can buy a cheapo one from Ebay and cut the back out for clearance.

I was noodle cutting some big oak rounds this past October after bucking them to length. A rancher stopped by with five big empty plastic sacks and offered me $20 if I could help him fill all of them for his horse stables. We did it and packed them tight. Some of the oak rounds were so big that I had to cut them into six blocks. My Stihl 046 worked really well, especially after removing the rubber boot on the clutch cover.

He said, "Edwin, there is nothing better than these noodles for a horse stable."

Latest posts

Back