NOR'EASTER! Gas up those saws and generators!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
take two days off to bowhunt, er well call in sick if it's the boss reading this and come back to work to find out we've got a storm a brewing. Hell yeah bring it on! wood is stacked, saws are sharp, generator ready to go. hell with plowing, i didn't put down all that new gravel to just fill the ditches with. if you can't make it up my driveway then i guess you ain't got to visit that bad.

stay warm, stay safe, stay home

Foo!

By the time I did some work on the truck, ran some errands, and putzed a little...was hoping to get at least one or two loads from the woodlot before the rain.

But it's started storming two hours sooner then I was hoping!

A Nor'easter???? Boy I guess those of us in the northwest are going to have to come up with our own name for a snowstorm:laugh: Don't usually see anything that stays out here till late november unless you get way up in the mountains.

Nor'easter is the wind direction, not were it occurs!

The winds swing out over the Atlantic, picking up moisture and sucking cold air down from Canada.

They pack a lot of moisture, but the snow is *usually* fairly heavy which keeps the inches down until you get into the deep of winter like February when you can really start to rack up the drifts.

Different type of storm then the cold fronts that come across the Great Lakes which are colder and usually drier so the snow totals may pile up faster but it's fluffy and little wind to drift them.

Sou'wester you don't hear much, since they're typically strong winds on a warm and dry a day or so in advance of a cold front bringing rain. Most of our "red flag" fire weather days in New England are sou'westers. Mariners care about 'em, but since it's not precipitating the TV weathermen don't.

Last edited:
And in my neck of the woods, on the west end of Lake Erie, a Nor'easter means about the same as it does on the east coast. Lot's of wind, rain or snow. And depending on the time of winter, it can be either heavy or fluffy snow.

Good luck and good cutting to all the people in the path of this one. It's just going to be cloudy here...

Not sure how much longer I’ll be posting. The lights have been flickering like a candle. I just took the dog out and every time the wind blows I hear “snap crackle pop.” A sickly maple in the backyard has already dropped some medium sized branches. The rest of the trees are sagging heavily. This could get reeeeeeeeeal ugly.

im in northwest NJ
looks like the weather people are at it again, scaring everyone into cleaning out the stores

headlines on Weather.com for our county read: "8-12 inches of snow over the next 36 hours"
.. but then actually clicking on the story and reading more, it says rain tonight, possibly turning into a wet snow/rain mix through saturday then its supposed to get cold saturday night, hopefully we dont end up with another late october ice storm like we had 2-3 years ago while all the trees still had their leaves
i guess its all going to depend on the temperature, if its gona be in the high 30s , low 40s like they are saying.. hopefully well just get some rain. i guess we'll see

looks like im eating my words from lastnight:
002Medium.jpg

2:30pm and still comin down good

Generator's been cranking for three hours now. House is nice and warm. I hope we don't get this wind tonight-too many trees down already. 36K without power in my county alone. 100K+ statewide.

WHIMPYS OWN WORDS "i ll gladly pay you tuesday for a snow plow today " hope we dont need those plows ,really sucks plowing when the ground isnt frozen

Funny U should say that, I called my nephew and said ill pay him tuesday if I can use his truck to plow my customers...Hes only 22, and had no idea what I was refering to...lol

Nothing like grading drives while plowing snow....

Not sure how much longer I’ll be posting. The lights have been flickering like a candle. I just took the dog out and every time the wind blows I hear “snap crackle pop.” A sickly maple in the backyard has already dropped some medium sized branches. The rest of the trees are sagging heavily. This could get reeeeeeeeeal ugly.

How far west of the Coastline are you?

Finished sawing and stacking the last 6 cords of this seasons firewood this afternoon and as I parked the truck it began to snow. I got that done just in time. I wanted to mow the lawn one last time. That aint gonna happen.:msp_scared:

Power out 3+ hours now, snow flying, wind blowing, trees popping, and branches everywhere... feels like TS Irene all over again.

Snowing to beat the band here. Roads are covered. Weatherman says 60 mph winds when this is over. Could get interesting. :rolleyes2:

Been snowin' pretty good here in Loudon for a coupla hours now. My daughter and I finished splitting up a 6 cord pile of rounds this morning. Then she helped me set the splitter up by my next pile of about 7 cords of birch, maple, and oak logs. I'll start sawing that up tomorrow after I clean up this early season dusting. We will split and stack that up next weekend. Its only snow folks....it will be ok....I promise....ha ha ha

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Sure glad I am in Ohio right now it's 44 and raining at the moment. Everyone be safe.

An online friend of mine who retired to a mountain top in w. virginia with her husband told me as of 3 this afternoon they had 10" and still coming down strong. They don't care really, they are fully stocked up all the time and said, sort of a quote "we can hang out if needs be until spring when it all melts".

It's coming down pretty hard here. I expect to see quite a few power outages since most of the trees still have leaves on them. Saws are ready to go. Snow tires are on the vehicles, and the snowblower is fixed. It's been a crazy day, but I think we're all set.

Latest posts

Back