Normal Profile Chain on a 16-inch Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s always a reasonable one out there waiting to ruin the party. But it’s probably the right thing to do. Thanks again.
Didn’t mean to pee in your Post Toasties but just either trying to save you money on something that might not work or having you take a good saw and turn it into something you hate. There are tricks to improving a saws performance but your limited on a 40 cc saw.

Didn’t mean to pee in your Post Toasties but just either trying to save you money on something that might not work or having you take a good saw and turn it into something you hate. There are tricks to improving a saws performance but your limited on a 40 cc saw.
give the guy a break. can't you see he's from Poulan, PA? :laughing:
EDIT. i moved.:rolleyes:

I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether I can run the following combination on my saw?

Bar - 16 inch Forester
Chain - Oregon 72LPX070G sized for for 16 inch bar

Looks like the chain is the same gauge and pitch as the bar, it's just a more aggressive chain than comes with the bar. Wider kerf.
72LPX is full size 3/8" in .050, and I don't think that is a good option at all on a saw that small.

Your best option likely is to stay with 3/8" lo-pro on that saw, and change the chain to Stihl PS (Picco Super, a chisel chain).

72LPX is full size 3/8" in .050, and I don't think that is a good option at all on a saw that small.

Your best option likely is to stay with 3/8" lo-pro on that saw, and change the chain to Stihl PS (Picco Super, a chisel chain).

I agree with that "only" if the OP is cutting very soft wood or strictly limbing smaller limbs with it.

The PS cutters are basically the same as full chisel .325 cutters and will sap too much power from a Echo 400. Muffler modded or not it wont run like a MS200 that chain was meant for.

In fact I would suggest if he wants something to cut faster he should look into a NK setup on it.

I agree with that "only" if the OP is cutting very soft wood or strictly limbing smaller limbs with it.

The PS cutters are basically the same as full chisel .325 cutters and will sap too much power from a Echo 400. Muffler modded or not it wont run like a MS200 that chain was meant for.

In fact I would suggest if he wants something to cut faster he should look into a NK setup on it.

You likely are right - but I understand that the OP wants to try something that is more aggressive than semi-chisel 3/8" lo-pro?

I would change faster to different. The above is most likely the best choice if to differ from stock.

It would seem the OP wants links to exactly what to get. Then after that has indicated it might not be something he will do.
If the idea is to experiment I would suggest getting into an aftermarket rim drive set up (which most likely will come with a 7 tootlh .325 sprocket but other choices are available once the drum is installed) and a hard nose bar. Then he could try what he origionally wanted (full size 3/8), .325 normal, 0325 NK, .325 LP (.325 LP which still can be found on ebay), and even 1/4 though the Oregon stuff is rated to stop at 38cc so try Stihl which is more robust. Can even run the 3/8 lp on the full size 3/8 sprocket and try pulling 7 or even 8 teeth, not a perfect match but could experiment. After all that experimenting perhaps acquire a bar with the right mount and right nose sprocket for the choice.

I would change faster to different.

It would seem the OP wants links to exactly what to get. Then after that has indicated it might not be something he will do.
If the idea is to experiment I would suggest getting into an aftermarket rim drive set up (which most likely will come with a 7 tootlh .325 sprocket but other choices are available once the drum is installed) and a hard nose bar. Then he could try what he origionally wanted (full size 3/8), .325 normal, .325 LP (.325 LP which still can be found on ebay), and even 1/4 though the Oregon stuff is rated to stop at 38cc so try Stihl which is more robust. Can even run the 3/8 lp on the full size 3/8 sprocket and try pulling 7 or even 8 teeth, not a perfect match but could experiment. After all that experimenting perhaps acquire a bar with the right mount and right nose sprocket for the choice.
I've ran the regular 3/8 7 pin on my 42cc pouland with low pro chain for years. Thing is. the regular rim is a little too small to begin with and only gets smaller with use, but it will work.

I always liked the chamfer chisel vpx but they don't seem to make it these days in 3/8 low pro.

If you like the VPX and want a somewhat similar 3/8" lo-pro chain (with chamfer chisel), I suggest you take a look at the 91PX.

The last time I was updated on the topic (a couple of years ago) the only Oregon 3/8" lo-pro that wasn't chamfer chisel was the VXL, that has ordinary (Carlton-style) semi-chisel cutters.

I'm no expert on this, but understand that it is a pity that Oregon replaced the VX with the VXL, and didn't just add it as another option.
It also has been reported several times (on a UK saw forum) that the long cutters of VXL aren't compatible with all saw/bar combinations in 3/8" lo-pro.

3/8 LP is narrower than regular 3/8. .325 is between the two. All other things being equal, removing less wood means a faster cut. Going to a wider chain will make the cuts slower.

Full chisel chain will cut faster than semi chisel but will get dull faster as well. Bailey's house brand has a full chisel non safety 3/8 LP (model 63RC). Supposedly their chain is made by Carlton. I find that it cuts and sharpens well. Not quite as good as Stihl chain but pretty close, and it costs less. There's also Stihl 63PS and 63PS3 (safety). The best way to cut fast is to keep the chain sharp.

I would change faster to different. The above is most likely the best choice if to differ from stock.

If the idea is to experiment I would suggest getting into an aftermarket rim drive set up (which most likely will come with a 7 tootlh .325 sprocket but other choices are available once the drum is installed) and a hard nose bar. Then he could try what he origionally wanted (full size 3/8), .325 normal, 0325 NK, .325 LP (.325 LP which still can be found on ebay), and even 1/4 though the Oregon stuff is rated to stop at 38cc so try Stihl which is more robust. Can even run the 3/8 lp on the full size 3/8 sprocket and try pulling 7 or even 8 teeth, not a perfect match but could experiment. After all that experimenting perhaps acquire a bar with the right mount and right nose sprocket for the choice.

You can change it to say anything you want to but it don't change the fact that what I said was true.

A 400 Echo isn't the worlds strongest 40cc saw and your talking of running .325 pitch on it will not work out well from my experience trying it. Not many 40cc saws can pull .325 LPX chain all that well compared to 3/8 LP. And like I said earlier, the Stihl PS chain has virtually .325 pitch cutters on it but maybe a better option then .325 as it has less cutters on it in a given length.

The new Oregon 90 PX NK chain is pretty dang good stuff so far from what I have seen from what I put on some Stihl top handle saws. Heck the 91PX that came on my 355T cuts really well and I really like the small bumper links on it, makes for a smooth cutting chain.

You and the OP are free do disagree and try whatever you want to. That's how I came to my conclusions, I actually have tried them myself.

I looked at your signature, I see you did move to the slums! :lol:
makita-pa.jpg

stihlpa.jpg
:laughing:

Back