Normal Profile Chain on a 16-inch Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoulanInPA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm no expert on this matter (but I'm learning). I want to replace the 18 inch bar and low-profile chain that came with my ECHO CS-400 with a 16-inch bar and "normal profile" chain. Is using a regular profile chain a bad idea on a smaller bar? The saw has great power after the muffler mod and re-tune and I have little doubt it can turn a beefier chain.

I went to the Echo site and found the current manual.
https://www.echo-usa.com/getattachm...-9630-47138cb5186f/CS-490es_C34312_110515.pdf
Page 23 calls for 20BPX chain which would be considered normal in my estimation. It is not NK or narrow kerf and Low profile 0.325 Oregon chain in sl and lg has been obsolete for a while now at least to my understanding. Have you got the manual and can you look up similar to what I linked?

The 490 came with 20bpx072. If you’re want a more agressive chain without changing your drive gear then go to 20lpx. You’ll have to see what drive links needed for a 16” bar. If you want to go to a non-lp 3/8 you’ll have to change your drive. The 20lpx does cut better than the 20bpx.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether I can run the following combination on my saw?

Bar - 16 inch Forester
Chain - Oregon 72LPX070G sized for for 16 inch bar

Looks like the chain is the same gauge and pitch as the bar, it's just a more aggressive chain than comes with the bar. Wider kerf.
The first link is for a bar and chain that is 3/8 ext or more commonly called 3/8 lp that is for smaller echo models. The second link is not a chain compatible with the first one even if shortened. Chances are you have a .325 sprocket.

Just a 3/8 sprocket, not sure if they make one for the 490. @fordf150 is an Echo dealer. Same for the bar, most bars for the 490 are for the .325.

The first link is for a bar and chain that is 3/8 ext or more commonly called 3/8 lp that is for smaller echo models. The second link is not a chain compatible with the first one even if shortened. Chances are you have a .325 sprocket.
Standard 490 is .325.

Thanks to all for the input. I messed up and said this is for a CS-490. It is not. This is for a CS-400. Can anyone idiot-proof this for me and send links for a compatible 16-inch bar, regular (non-low profile) 3/8 chain and (if needed) sprocket?

The CS-400 Manual is located here.

Latest posts

Back