Northeast GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The simplest and safest way is hot start, mainly because a lot of guys don't get much chance to practice cold starts.

If it's a 12x12 cant, then perhaps just a hot start with one cut from top to bottom would be sufficient. If it's 8x8s, then one cut may be too short to get accurate timing if there's a bunch of saws running.

If we do three cuts, then it's usually down-up-down with the stopwatches starting when the saw hits the wood and stopping when the third cookie breaks free.

Sometimes guys will have a really fast saw but mess up the cuts or the change overs, so in the end, there's still plenty of room for bench racing afterwards..."if I didn't cut out on the third cookie I would've beat you" , etc. etc.

stopwatches starting when the saw hits the wood and stopping when the third cookie breaks free.

over-the-block racing like you're describing would be fun. 12x12's would sure show who has the horsepower! Hot start usually means hands on the block, saw running on the ground, time starts at the "go" signal .

Last edited:
Size

If ya'll decide 12x12 or 8x8, we got alot of pine logs I'll throw in the mill and I can bring down a truckload of like 8 or 10'ers... Just lemme know eh?

:cheers: eh?

If ya'll decide 12x12 or 8x8, we got alot of pine logs I'll throw in the mill and I can bring down a truckload of like 8 or 10'ers... Just lemme know eh?

12x12's might be too big for the guys running 60dl chains on a cut down bar. My 281 and 046 will JUST reach threw 12" of wood. 8x8's or 10x10's would be fine. I guess I vote for 8x8's, and you won't waste some nice big logs for cookie cutting. Takes a nice log to get a 12x12.
How about an axe throw target? any axe throwers going down?

Last edited:
I'm looking to know how many people are planning on attending Saturday May 16th. Just make a post saying yes / no / maybe.

We are having an Open House at the store on the same day with factory/distributor reps attending. I'm planning on having a door prize of a Dolmar PS-420 & other saw supplies that will be exclusive to attending members of this forum or others like it.

We will also have Apple Cider Donuts made fresh right here along with some grill's going for Hot Dog's, Burger's, etc...

Everybody is welcome to bring any saw's they want no matter the brand. We will have some of our old dolmar's out including:
KMS-4 Wankel

Along with newer saw's including:
PS-9010
PS-7900
EHP7900 x 2
PS5100S
PS-510
PS-420
PS-420 Snelling Edition

Steve

Soooo dude your making the trip??? Cool Beans..... Thanks for the Pine offer bring it on I would like to see atleast 10x10 or 12x12 I personally think 8" cants are for limbing saws lol but hey if thats what you want to race on then you guys are the ones racing. Personally I like bigger wood to race in and let the saws show their HORSEPOWER and TORQUE......
We will have a ton of stuff going on that weekend with the Store Open House as well. So You Racers will probably will have a audience lol. Maybe if this goes off well we will make it a annual event and get professional and have prizes and such. I know some of you guys want to run bike saws and thats OK But I really Would Love to See STOCK, STOCK APPEARING and STOCK ENHANCED CLASSES all based off actual Gas Powered chain saws. So the Bike saw classes should be their own not mixed with the 100+cc saws.

Prey for a sunny day and a good crowd SeeYa when I See Ya

Scott

I would like to see atleast 10x10 or 12x12 I personally think 8" cants are for limbing saws lol but hey if thats what you want to race on then you guys are the ones racing. Personally I like bigger wood to race in and let the saws show their HORSEPOWER and TORQUE......

Scott

Sounds good to me, I have bars and 72dl chains I can put on. Are we doing any chopping? axe throw? I'll bring my axes just in case........:)

Yes, definitely. If I do nothing else, I can stand around all day and watch with a big grin on my face.

Hope you got something truly ugly that we can jam a Timberwolf splitter through - I'm hoping to come home with one.

OH yea

I'll be there for sure. Skipping my sister-in-law's wedding for it. Chik'n isn't... But I'll be there. I'll bring some squares to cut for sure!!!! This is going to kick butt!!!!!

Is there a planned time for the GTG? How early to show up, when does it plan to end?

Tell me what time you guys want the GTG to be We also have a open house the same day from 9am to 3pm. Live radio "froggy 107.1" broadcasting from noon till 2pm. Factory reps from Dolmar, Timberwolf, Oregon, Giant Vac, Ventrac, Ferris and Exmark. good food many door prizes as well. Live Timberwolf Firewood Processor PROHDIL XL and 30' HD chain Conveyor, Dolmar saw demo's, Mower demo's, and much much more. You guys can have the GTG anytime on saturday the 16th weather reports look good so far high 60's low 70's

Scott

squares

I'm going to the mill tomorrow to scrimp and scrounge to see what I can dig up. Probably alot of 6x6's he said, but a few 8x8's too. We'll have to maybe section them off, i.e. 8x8's for larger saws, 6x6's for smaller saws... Something like that. Schedule has been more hectic than I thought so I haven't been able to get in the woods and saw up any logs... but I'll be bringing a few. It's a 150 mile trip for me so I gotta watch how much I load anyways... Damn coppers will gimme a ticket... hehehehehehehe

I'm thinking 9 or 10 is a good time to start. That'll give us 6 or 7+ good hours of cutting fun!!!!

This is gonna be a blast!!!!!!!!!! woooooooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Back