Northern tool chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a buddy order one up for me today. while he was ordering over the phone he told them he just bought one 2 weeks ago for $20 more and they gave him a $20 credit on his credit card. Worth calling and asking about.

thanks for the heads up:cheers: for that price i cant help myself:)

I think I remember reading that I should order the oregon wheel to go with it right???

I think I remember reading that I should order the oregon wheel to go with it right???

Not sure which grinder you are referring to. Oregon sells 4-1/8 and 5-3/4 inch wheels. The $120/80 NT grinder uses the larger wheel.

The $30 NT grinder takes a 3-15/16" wheel (I don't think Oregon sells one.). The harbor Freight grinder uses a 4-1/4 inch wheel. These last 2 grinders are made of soft plastic and have low power motors.

Philbert

I purchased one of these on Fri. I used it a little bit on my Stihl 14" chain, but it was a little confusing using it as the instructions suck! Hopefully I can figure it out and it works good?

I purchased one of these on Fri. I used it a little bit on my Stihl 14" chain, but it was a little confusing using it as the instructions suck! Hopefully I can figure it out and it works good?

Download the link in post #2 for the Oregon 511A. It should help you out a whole lot. ;)

I haven't seen the instructions that come with the NT grinder. The instructions for the similar Oregon grinder (the one that they copied) are more confusing than they should be, but you might want to check them out anyway, to see if they are more clear:

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/accessories/511AManual_3Lang.pdf

I offered to edit and re-write them in exchange for a free grinder (cheap!), but no one took me up on that offer.

Philbert

Mine had a casting burr on the under side of the vise assembly that actually prevented use of the vise tilt angle in the inward position. Had to remove the base and file it smooth before the tilt would work. Do a little filing on all the moving parts of the vise and it will work well. It was also missing a pawl centering spring, so I just bought one for 60 cents at Ace Hardware.

Check out my earlier post for downloading the Oregon 511A manual for detailed operating instructions.

I just bought mine when they sere on sale for 100:censored:

love it tho, and I too had some casting material on the bottom of the base preventing it from tilting back... grinder took care of that fast tho.

I had difficulty tilting mine back as well. When I went to tighten the vise down, it went back to 0 degrees. Is the 10 degree tilt that essential?

Kyle

Very good instructions bigredd! Thanks for posting them! To bad the Northern Grinder didn't come with these instructions, instead of the lame instructions it came with!

Back