Northern tools "gasifacation unit"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just got my northern tool master catalog anyone else seen their outdoor wood boiler "gasifaction" unit just curious if anyone had any opinions or info. thanks

I'd be leery of purchasing a unit without seeing it in person and knowing who manufactures it.

On a side note, I think we will all be seeing more and more gasification implementation by manufacturers as people look to get more efficiency out of their wood.

"I'd be leery of purchasing a unit without seeing it in person and knowing who manufactures it"

Ya, me too
OWB manufacturs dont exactly have a steller reputation for being in business when you need help a few years down the road and was a primary consideration when I was shopping.

Yeah, that was what my gut said also. I am still looking not even sure if it will be this year but after spending a good deal of free time this summer cutting/splitting I would also like to maximize my wood usage right now I only use wood in our 35x96 ft. greenhouse starting in Feb. and it has saved me probrobly 4 fill ups total for the season still need it as backup though!! We don't use it in the house but I would like to my wife is concerned and smokey smell on her clothes since she works in a office I worry about the chimney and fires but right now we pay $380 year round just for utilities and not a bunch of that is for electic so we have to do something soon especially if nat. gas goes up!!! I know we need to update windows doors insulation ect. but this is a big house (3500 maybe a bit bigger,high ceilings upstairs) and honestly i'm not sure if we are staying or not it would be big bucks to do all we need and the energy crisis is only going to get worse this is where a smaller home will pay bigtime!! I have been looking at the sequoah outdoor boilers and the biomax/orlan EKO ect. not sure if it will work for what we need and that is save about $3000 a year in heat!!! I just thought i'd throw it out and see what everyones gut told them too!!

Last edited:
Yeah, that was what my gut said also. I am still looking not even sure if it will be this year but after spending a good deal of free time this summer cutting/splitting I would also like to maximize my wood usage right now I only use wood in our 35x96 ft. greenhouse starting in Feb. and it has saved me probrobly 4 fill ups total for the season still need it as backup though!! We don't use it in the house but I would like to my wife is concerned and smokey smell on her clothes since she works in a office I worry about the chimney and fires but right now we pay $380 year round just for utilities and not a bunch of that is for electic so we have to do something soon especially if nat. gas goes up!!! I know we need to update windows doors insulation ect. but this is a big house (3500 maybe a bit bigger,high ceilings upstairs) and honestly i'm not sure if we are staying or not it would be big bucks to do all we need and the energy crisis is only going to get worse this is where a smaller home will pay bigtime!! I have been looking at the sequoah outdoor boilers and the biomax/orlan EKO ect. not sure if it will work for what we need and that is save about $3000 a year in heat!!! I just thought i'd throw it out and see what everyones gut told them too!!

I just purchased an EKO 40 after months of deliberation and research. I ended up going with them because they've got a good reputation and also because the Tarm units are back-ordered waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. You might also look into Econoburn.

I think from the reasearch i've done the orlan seems to have alot of happy customers. Looks like a decent bang for the buck too that would be a good setup for me being able to put it in the garage with a h2o storgage tank then run the lines to the house. Keep us posted on the install. How did you size yours I found a site but the way the chart was wasn't easy the dechipher??

I HIGHLY doubt that this OWB is a gasification boiler. It says you can use wood or coal and I have yet to see any manufacturer that has found a way to gasify coal ( unfortunately ) besides, if this company did happen to find a way to do so, I really doubt it would be for sale by Northern Tool and the price would only be 6 grand..

+1 again that was my gut feeling. I did find a central boiler OWB HFss-36 (4yrs. old) about 10 miles from me for $3000 I don't know about the stainless thing and its a little small for my application rated at 2700 sq. ft. but does it sound like its worth checking out?? Anyone have one and or know the track record I know central boiler is reputable but every company has DUDs.

Hey the EKO 60 is probrobly the size I would need also keep us informed on the install i'm really not too far from you so my wood usage and yours could be pretty similar. Looks like a really good unit I have been looking at cozyheat.net where did you find yours?? keep us posted

Hey the EKO 60 is probrobly the size I would need also keep us informed on the install i'm really not too far from you so my wood usage and yours could be pretty similar. Looks like a really good unit I have been looking at cozyheat.net where did you find yours?? keep us posted

I and twofer bought ours from Dave at cozy heat. Sorry about the pm twofer I just figured out I met you on **********.

Rob

Good luck with your install hope it all goes smooth cozy has a nice website and seem to be pretty reasonable with $$ I just replied on your other post on the load of logs I have been researching that for some time too all I came up with was a tree service guys that delivered some from his yard he was on craigslist not sure if it will be useful if I can find his # and you want it let me know. The load was reasonable it was mixed cherry, oak ect. full lenght logs not as big as I had pictured and I think he said it should come out to 10 face cords I will see if his ad is still on craigslist and get back to you if I recall he was closer to you than me (pinkney) anyhoo those EKO look top notch I will look forward to seeing some pics!! Thanks irishcountry

Anyone else notice that "Gasification" stove at Northern Tool is a CAD Drawing, they don't have an actual picture of the finished product up... Very interesting!

I would highly recommend giving Dave at Cozy Heat a ring. Be forewarned though, he's pretty inundated with business this year and I think everyone on this site knows why. :)

You might also think about doing a heat load analysis on your own to figure out how many BTU's you're looking at. Slantfin has a free program to help out with the calculations.

Latest posts

Back