Northstar 22 ton splitter w/ Honda GC 160 - Leaking fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbuehler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has any one had any problems with one of these? I borrowed it from a friend to split a couple of cords of oak. When i started it, fuel started leaking from the carb, somewhere around the air cleaner, i thought. I took the carb of and found it all gummed up. I cleaned it out and filled the tank with fresh gas. It ran for several sessions at a couple of hours each and then started leaking again. I decided to just replace the carb. (I figured that would be a nice thing to do since my buddy loaned it to me.) Installed the new carb, and i also decided to install a fuel shut off valve in the line since there was not one there from the factory. Everything worked fine for another couple of rounds. I even ran the carb dry when i was finished splitting each day. Then it started leaking again. When i pulled the air cleaner off there was a puddle of gas in the bottom of it. I let it sit for a day and when i ran it again it was fine. I used it for a couple more days and everything was fine. I returned it and when he started it back up, it is leaking again. I am assuming that it is something with the float not shutting off the fuel flow. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The float was my first thought. You might try adjusting the float where it would cut the gas supply off sooner. It may be a problem where the float needle meets the seat too.

.......just lightly tap the fuel bowl, the float is stuck....happens every so often on hondas....

Thanks for the responses.

I will try that.
Has anyone heard of these things gumming up easily? That is why i put the fuel line shut of valve on. I shut off the valve and run it dry when i am done for the day.

I suppose any carb can gum up, I like to add a bit of seafoam in the gas I use on my small engines. And I also use higher octane gas.

Never really had a prob withHonda carbs. Ive seen plenty neglect too. Did you say first one leaked too. Maybe crap in gastank. I had 4wheeler do that,tank was contaminated and everytime you cleaned carb it ran good for a little while then flood. Junk in tank was clogging needle and seat. Is there a fuel filter on it or can you see screen in tank outlet.:)

Thanks again.

Never really had a prob withHonda carbs. Ive seen plenty neglect too. Did you say first one leaked too. Maybe crap in gastank. I had 4wheeler do that,tank was contaminated and everytime you cleaned carb it ran good for a little while then flood. Junk in tank was clogging needle and seat. Is there a fuel filter on it or can you see screen in tank outlet.:)

I will take a look. I ran the tank dry a couple of times so i assumed that it was clean. Probably a good idea to flush it out.

Latest posts

Back