Norway Spruce Privacy screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to be planting Norway spruce along the east side of my property in a hay field. It is going to be 360' of Norway spruce. I am going to recycle an old fence line to create cages to protect the trees from deer and will keep the hay field mowed around them. But my questions is I am thinking about planting them 30' apart in two staggered rows. I was hoping by keeping them farther apart they will maintain more lower branches as they mature and I don't need it for a wind break so a little spacing will be alright. Is there any issue with planting them this far apart other than it will take longer to get the full effect of the privacy screen?

Not all of the trees will survive. You will lose some.

For that reason i would plant them at 16' spacing.

Timberjak

You should be fine at 30', what size trees are you installing? Your deer must be very hungry if they are browsing on spruce. The two rows of 12 trees are they spaced at 30' also?

They will just be 19"-24" trees so not very big and both rows will be spaced at 30' in a staggered pattern. I doubt that the deer will bother them but figured I have the free material I just need to put in the work to make them so better safe than spending more money. Mainly because a few years back I had some serious deer damage on Black hill spruces(from them eating the lower branches) so I am a little leery of just leaving them on there own. Fortunately, this location is currently a 5 acre hay field with 55 acres of hardwood surrounding it with a lot of oaks.

You have stated that the trees are not needed for a wind break. In all my years in the industry spruce trees are number one by far for blow downs. Tighter spacing allows root systems to intertwine & mat together, groves of spruce are stronger then a stand-alone tree.

You have stated that the trees are not needed for a wind break. In all my years in the industry spruce trees are number one by far for blow downs. Tighter spacing allows root systems to intertwine & mat together, groves of spruce are stronger then a stand-alone tree.

You are right, he does not need them for a wind break,
Jeff

What do you mean by 8 groups of 3?

24 trees, 3 in a grouping gives you 8 clumps, spacing them at 45' along your 360ft border. The clumps (groups) would be planted in a triangle 6-8ft apart. This would help resist wind forces over single trees, also easier to maintain.

Latest posts

Back