Norwood Portamill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, just seeing if anyone here actually uses, or has uses a Norwood PortaMill, i think it would be handy to have to mill up some logs for personal use for a couple wood storage sheds. but $1000 for it is a bit of an investment just for making some boards for sheds. i have done a bit of reading through here and i know that pretty much every 4 boards you cut you could have a 5th free if you used a bandsaw mill, but i can't justify buying a $4000 unit, but then i could get a little side gig going.

http://www.norwoodsawmills.com/products-sawmills/portamill-pm14-chainsaw-sawmill

I mill most of my slabs at 3" so I don't think I loose much to the thinner kerf. Plus, if I bought a mill that would cut boards as wide as my Alaskan, it would cost a lot more than 4K, maybe 40K. I always thought the Portamill was a good idea, but quite pricey. I have a heavy duty 42 foot extension ladder, so being able to mill 20 footers would be nice. I think some one with basic welding skills could make something like the Portamill. Not going with a band mill, I think any side work, gig, would be in specialty wood. Big crotches, Walnut, Oak, Redwood. Stuff you can't get at the box stores. I would mill 5/4 Oak, for Board and Batten siding, for myself. But, I don't think I could compete with a big mill. Anyway, I'd like to try the Norwood, just to see how it works. I'm following to see what others have to say, Joe.

I like the trigger mechanism for the saw. I even emailed Norwood to see if they would sell that separately as its quite easy to install on my saws. Not a very good response from them.

I agree with the $1000 tag is a bit much but I'm a cheap guy...
There are more than a few people on here who have build a Logossol knock off and most seem to have good results.....If you have some skills you can whip up a similar mill to the Norwood or the Lososol.
Keep in mind the bending over part for the Norwood Vs. the loading logs up higher for the Logosol types...
G Vavra

i like how you push the Norwood on a track, and loading a log into the tray is at ground height. the chain oiler i think too is a bit key for longevity on the bar. i think i will keep an eye out on kijiji this winter for one and then see what comes up before deciding to build one.

Back