Not a grinder vs handfiling thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am not trying to start a handfiling vs grinding thread. But I couldn't remember the argument for why handfiling a round chisel made for a sharper chain than grinding same.

Anyone point me to a thread that this was explained?

B_Turner said:
I am not trying to start a handfiling vs grinding thread. But I couldn't remember the argument for why handfiling a round chisel made for a sharper chain than grinding same.

Anyone point me to a thread that this was explained?

Using a round file gives you a rounded cutting edge coming to more of a point at the cutting edge. A machine ground tooth will have a more reinforced cutting edge having a straight line from the base of the cutting surface to the cutting edge.

Hand cut should cut faster when first run, ground should last a bit longer between sharpenings.

Mark

Many times a ground chain will be overheated as the operator behind the counter is in a hurry and wants it done fast.

If you are the operator, then this may not apply. :)

Also, with a file, I have found that there is not near as much of a burr left on the cutter when done.

FWIW,

Andy

Latest posts

Back