Not Impressed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As some of you might know my FIL seized the 11hp Honda on my splitter a few weeks ago. It wasn't a huge deal sine the Splitter has been a work-in-progress for the last couple years. But I was almost there.. so close.. I probably have more $$ into this thing then a decent new machine costs. Anyway.. The old used Honda dies, steps up and offers to fix the splitter and we settle on a Lifan 11hp Honda knock off, I mean these thing look 99% the same except the colour!! I was pretty happy since I bought the Honda used and it was oldish. but I did have some cash into the engine and it was still a HONDA..

Away Today I get the Lifan bolted in, I ran it for abit made sure everything worked then I went to other chores. Tonight I decided to split some Poplar that I need to move. I know this is a new engine so I don't want to go crazy on it so I start it let it idle for abit then run it up to about alittle less then where I ran my Honda. Splitting was painfully slow, Ram seemed to drag down the beam. I kept the pace up for awhile then got frustrated and bumped the throttle up to where I used to run it (about 5/8) and no difference. At this throttle my splitter would go through anything, barley slow down with the 2 stage pump. now blah.. poplar was bringing to a standstill. Maybe I'm just seeing things differently, Maybe thing are faster in my head.

Unless the motor needs to break in? but I had this thing full throttle and it still didn't feel as fast or as powerful as the 11hp honda, and I really don't like the idea of running this at FT.

My neighbour is the Honda parts king. I might slap one of his on if he has a spare and see if what the difference is..

So far.. Not very impressed....

did something happen to the pump when the engine went down?
either that or the new engine isnt getting the rpm's it needs to...:msp_biggrin:

Speed and power is a function of the pump and piston. As long as the engine can turn the pump @ the specified RPM, and it sounds like it does, then it should be the same...

Ive heard nothing but good things about those knockoff engines..I find it hard to believe though because there so cheep it just gets me thinking somethings got to be wrong with them..Ive always been told if something seems too good to be true it probably is.

chinese engines

I have heard this from two different commercial dealers who sell chinese engines/ stuff (gennies, bikes, go karts, atvs, etc), so take it for what it is worth.

If they ship with fluids, dump that stuff out and put quality new fluid in. Good quality oil, hydraulic or antifreeze doesn't seem to exist in china. Might not apply in your case, proly shipped dry...just sayin'..what they told me.

Retorque all the important bolts and so on, and they need a decent breakin period. Even hondas and other quality makes all have a break in period before full use, as far as I know anyway.

Two strokes I am still a doofus on, four strokes I have a bit more experience..all of them need a real breakin period. I haven't seen any that *didn't*, put it that way. And aircooled stuff runs hot, again, breakin is more critical than a thermostat controlled liquid cooled.

Tons of guys have had good luck with the chinese engines, but..quality control is a real crap shoot, competition is so fierce over there... so....yours is still new, let them rings settle in before really winding it out and putting a load on it maybe. Run a half a tank through it, just run the ram empty for awhile, back and forth, something like that?

Or you got a lemon with balsa wood rings and cardboard valve guides, any return policy with it?

did something happen to the pump when the engine went down?
either that or the new engine isnt getting the rpm's it needs to...:msp_biggrin:

This is my thought as well....how did you FIL blow the engine....if he maxed out the pump/cylinder and it took out the motor, then he may have shelled other parts as well.

I doubt its the engine, but check the RPM on the engine and make sure it matches the old honda and put a tac on the new motor to confirm......

ahhhh i got this... you run ethanol? its corn based here... you need the rice based for that engine.....

I don't think it's the pump, the Honda blew because there was no oil in it not because it was over loaded. I'll give it another shot today and try some hard wood, I just have a feeling if it's having a hard time with this poplar then the Beech I have over in my pile is going to kill this thing. I've looked in the paper work I got with the more and it says nothing about a break in period all it recommends is that you change the oil after 20 hrs.

I've tried finding the specs online to compare them to the Honda, you think I could find them.. nope

I don't think it's the pump, the Honda blew because there was no oil in it not because it was over loaded. I'll give it another shot today and try some hard wood, I just have a feeling if it's having a hard time with this poplar then the Beech I have over in my pile is going to kill this thing. I've looked in the paper work I got with the more and it says nothing about a break in period all it recommends is that you change the oil after 20 hrs.

I've tried finding the specs online to compare them to the Honda, you think I could find them.. nope

Sounds just like a weak motor try another real one this time!

Sounds just like a weak motor try another real one this time!

I agree with Oldtimer that it doesn't sound like an engine problem. If the engine were underpowered it would bog down and want to stall. If it is holding its RPM during the split then you have hydraulic issues, or you are not running enough RPMs to drive the pump.

I re-read your post and am looking for clarification, is the engine slowing down or is the ram just moving slowly?

I agree with Oldtimer that it doesn't sound like an engine problem. If the engine were underpowered it would bog down and want to stall. If it is holding its RPM during the split then you have hydraulic issues, or you are not running enough RPMs to drive the pump.

I re-read your post and am looking for clarification, is the engine slowing down or is the ram just moving slowly?

The op said his FIL blew it up cause of no oil so why would you think there is a second problem with the pump?And the Chinese no doubt lie about the horsepower!I dont trust anyone who eats dogs anyway!!!

The engine just keeps plugging away no issues, you can here it when it gets loaded down. It's the ram that slow down, I did notice that there was some sligth leaking at 1 of the hoses and some oil around the lever. I'll take a closer look.

I have heard really good things about these Chinese engines. I have a Greyhound 6.5hp from Harbor Freight that I am setting up to run my Lickity Splitter. This splitter was a junkyard find that I am completely rebuilding. The motor was $99.00 so I figured I would give it a shot. There are extensive break in procedures required for this, and really, any engine.

Use some cheap oil and STP oil treatment on idle for about an hour, drain, refill with the same mix and run for 1/2 hour, then wide open for two minutes. Drain again and refill with a good synthetic oil. I would also lose the Chinese spark plug and get a Champion.

The original motor on the Lickity Splitter was an 8hp Kohler. It was long gone when I got the splitter and it had been replaced with a Honda that was a rusty mess. I didn't even bother with that motor.

Good luck with your project.

Mark

The engine just keeps plugging away no issues, you can here it when it gets loaded down. It's the ram that slow down, I did notice that there was some sligth leaking at 1 of the hoses and some oil around the lever. I'll take a closer look.

See if metal is in the oil take of the filter but the thing was working good before you swapped motors so it is a no brainer.

Ok, really silly thought here so be warned and prepare to flame me.....but....

Did you look at the direction of rotation? If your honda turned clockwise, and the new motor turns counter clockwise....that could be the issue

Did you look at the direction of rotation? If your honda turned clockwise, and the new motor turns counter clockwise....that could be the issue

Wow....not silly, GREAT question! And might just be the answer.

No matter what, engine power is not the issue from what he describes.

That's a really good point actual I'll have to double check that.. I assumed they would be the same but you can never take it for granted.

Latest posts

Back