Notes from a non-arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Greetings to all you AS fanatics! This is my first AS posting, and I’m not really a forums kind of guy. However, I’ve been lurking here for a few months and I need to join up to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge so freely. I’d be lost in big-box chainsaw hell without you!

I’m a long-time motorhead working in the motorcycle industry. So I know about two-strokes, engines, oil, spec pages, etc. I’m also an avid shooter/hunter suffering from serious FAD—Firearms Acquisition Disease. Up until my latest chainsaw acquisition a saw has simply been another tool for me. But that all changed when we recently built a small hunting cabin on our Central California ranch; the need for firewood became a larger issue and I finally killed my 20-year-old little Mac Eager Beaver trying to keep up with wood demands. So I began researching new chain saws but I couldn’t find any worthwhile information online until I stumbled across arboristsite.com, and boy, you all have been a fantastic help. I’ve tried to absorb and digest the many valid views posted here and I thought I’d share my thoughts about the saw I finally picked.

The ranch holds quite a few ancient coastal live oaks, which we never fell; the limbs they shed periodically are typically huge, often getting up to 24 inches across or larger, and they supply plenty of wood that’s very hard. So I wanted a bigger saw with good horsepower and a 20-inch bar. We only cut for a few hours on weekends, so weight and vibration aren’t huge factors compared to you pros who cut all day, every week. Big-box stores were out, but most of the chainsaw dealers in Southern California seem to cater to mow-and-blow landscapers; I visited two dealers who wouldn’t give me the time of day! So since the advice I got from this forum focused largely on Stihl and Husqvarna, I found a nursery that carried a good stock of those two brands. After handling the saws and checking prices, Stihl seemed to have the better offerings for price versus engine size, and after studying the Stihl catalog I decided on a MS390 because it produces the most power for the money. Yes, the MS360 felt better in my hands, but it’s not that much lighter and the $130 savings makes up the difference between a Simmons and a Leupold scope for one of my rifles—these chainsaw/gun dollars all come out of my “stashed” dollars!

My first session with the 390 and 20-inch bar was fantastic! I can’t believe how well it ran through my first cut—I just started laughing out loud! Some Stihl MS390 critics almost had me believing that the bar would simply bounce off the tiniest branch around, but it ripped right through one 18-inch section of oak without breaking a sweat. Yeah, the 390 is a touch heavy for this old dude to use all day, but my son-in-law and his brother were practically foaming at the mouth to have their turn at the saw by the time I was feeling a little tired—and they just laughed at the idea of this saw being too heavy. Bottom line: it took us longer to stack the wood and fill up the pickup truck than it took us to cut it. So what more do you need?

Well, actually, maybe a MS180 might be handy for limbing and chopping up the small kindling wood… another victim falls prey to CAD!!! I’m now officially hooked, thanks to you all!

Hey, welcome to the site.. we do have our fun here, glad you are enjoyng the proceedings.

As you mention, some here are not partial to the 390, but they are designed specifically for someone with your use pattern and are good saws. It should serve you well for a long, long time. And when/if it ever does fry, the guys on the site will help you make it right again.

May I suggest that when the warranty period is up, you might look into a muffler mod. I don't have that model (got a box of parts that WILL be one this summer) but I understand that thing becomes a whole new saw when it is opened up.

Say hi to SoCal, for me... I have a sis in Echo Park. Giant rep for you!

Thanks for the welcome, Andre. You bring up a phrase that's not used very often here, "use pattern." I know we all have favorites for everything from breakfast food to hats, but how an individual uses something does make a difference. I haven't even seated in the rings on my MS390 yet, but I'm glad for the displacement!

And yes, I've been reading a lot of posts about muffler mods and snipping the restrictor tabs off the carb needle caps and it doesn't sound too tough. But I have a question that I don't think anyone has addressed: Is it better to wait until the saw warranty has expired before tuning the saw to run correctly, or will running it in the EPA-certified lean condition during the warranty period do more harm to it than getting it to run right?

I remember when EPS restrictions hit motorcycles in the early 1980, and some bikes were jetted so lean on cold start-up and idle that they would literally fall to the fork stops as they coughed and nearly died if you tried to ride off before they were fully warmed up. Dangerous!

Good comparison. The EPA is screwing up saws also. your dealer should have set up your saw (ie: checked the tune) before he gave it to you. And it will definitely will need to be retuned as it breaks in. Aprox 10 tanks of fuel. Mine gained almost 1000 rpm on the high end and was making me $$$$ nervous.

The dealer should happily handle these retuning chores for you, if you don't have a tach and the experience. Personally - I like to run a tad rich during break-in - maybe 500 - 750 under recommended max rpm.

Have fun and post any of your questions - we'll help. :givebeer:

My first session with the 390 and 20-inch bar was fantastic! I can’t believe how well it ran through my first cut—I just started laughing out loud!
Your in trouble! Soon you will convince your self you need a bigger saw. The LOL factor is greater with more CC's.:hmm3grin2orange:

Welcome aboard Olyeller !
You bring up a good point about the weight thing. I was thinking the other day as I was cutting some 24-30" cherry rounds. Does it really matter how much the saw weighs for bucking, which most of us do the most ?
I could not believe the rave reviews the Makita/Dolmar was getting after holding one. I thought it was a tanker. Yup so I bought a used one from a fellow member who was kind enough to find it and ship for me. big rep Mini14.
So my point is, the Makita feels completely different "IN" the cut then on the shelf. I am not crazy about lugging the blue beast but man I love buckin' with her. Yes I am a weekender and don't do it to put shoes on the kids but it's about fun for me. And I have yet to handle a saw that wasn't fun in some way.
Enjoy that 390, it's a great saw and has plenty of snot for what got !!!

OK guys, given that the MS 390 is a heavy pig, what recommendations can I get for my next saw (see? the CAD is taking over my mind!) that has more power but isn't a heavy pig? Or should I go with a MS 180 for smaller stuff next?

This CAD is almost as much fun as throwing chips!

im kinda in the same boat as you. got my first saw cause i was tryn to start alttle tree removal bizz, found the 359 huskavarna used at pawn shop then found this place while searchn for info on the saw.

now i have like new 026 that im liking alot. it seems to be very good saw. i paid more for then most would have but then again a 346 and new 260 are 500 bucks so i feel i did good.

i also got into modding and porting, mostly because of watching timberwolfs 359 vid. my 359 is now ported and muffler modded it does very well dragn around 24" chain.

310 is our company saw that plays back up, i plan to sale firewood for next wood burning season to make full use of my saws, and to have one more saw 066 stihl 372 285 husky. im kinda stuck on stihl and husky.

i also have a few saws that arent in the pic. im only a few months into cadding, be carefull ;)

good to have you

attachment.php

Evan

I agree, this is a wonderful site with a lot of very knowledgeable folks. Everyone here really helped me make an educated decision when I bought my new saw the other day. Be careful if you stick around too long because CAD is highly contagious!!

Latest posts

Back