Now That's a Load of Fire Wood!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
736812_10151022132369364_105017028_o.jpg

I always knew I wanted a heavier duty truck.... And this is why! Wish I had that trailer here at the dealership so we could hook it up for test drives!

736812_10151022132369364_105017028_o.jpg

I always knew I wanted a heavier duty truck.... And this is why! Wish I had that trailer here at the dealership so we could hook it up for test drives!

Nice setup, but that trailer looks like the axels could be a little closer to the front of the trailer.

I was just about to ask where that is, cause it sure don't look like MI. Actually MI is kinda hilly and has some "mountains", but you would never know it. So many dang trees you can't see very far in any direction. I had claustrophobia for 2 years after I moved here after living out west all my life.

LOL! No, not in Michigan... I don't know where it is. I borrowed that pic from the Ram Trucks Facebook page.

Dump trailers are a hot commodity these days used ones sell super fast, been looking for a deal for over a year on one and they are usually sold same day if its any kind of deal at all. Prices have really sky rocketed on new ones in the past couple years. Finally said screw it and found a good deal on a 18ft dual axle 14k car trailer for 750 bucks. Dump would be sweet but couldnt justify 3k+ for a used one or 5k+ for a new one.

Nice setup, but that trailer looks like the axels could be a little closer to the front of the trailer.

Just by eyeball, that looks like about a 40/60 weight split between truck and trailer. I wouldn't fill that thing full of oak without a dually under it, but for lighter loads (like the pine it's probably hauling) it would probably be fine.

If it were built to max out on GCWR with a level load, I think it'd have to be closer to 25/75, depending on a bunch of specs we don't know from the pic.

A gooseneck (if set up properly) is a lot different than a bumper pull in a lot of way's, but especially weight distribution. If the ball is set where it should be (4" to 6" in front of center of the rear axle), the weight is not just on the rear of the truck but distributed to both axles. That's why the trailer axles are farther back than they would be on a bumper pull. That weight is distributed not only for towing ability, but for braking ability too.
A lot of people will load a gooseneck with most of the weight over the trailer axles, but that is a mistake. Unless your trailer brakes are capable of stopping the entire load. On a bumper hitch the opposite is true.
There's not more than 3 cords on that trailer, so not that much weight. Especially if it's Pine.

Andy

A gooseneck (if set up properly) is a lot different than a bumper pull in a lot of way's, but especially weight distribution. If the ball is set where it should be (4" to 6" in front of center of the rear axle), the weight is not just on the rear of the truck but distributed to both axles. That's why the trailer axles are farther back than they would be on a bumper pull. That weight is distributed not only for towing ability, but for braking ability too.
A lot of people will load a gooseneck with most of the weight over the trailer axles, but that is a mistake. Unless your trailer brakes are capable of stopping the entire load. On a bumper hitch the opposite is true.
There's not more than 3 cords on that trailer, so not that much weight. Especially if it's Pine.

Andy
You sure about that? The more weight that is not over the axles is more weight on your truck maxing out the overloads. I believe 20% kingpin weight is about right. If you aren't supposed to put weight over the axles then what's the point of heavy axles? :msp_confused:

Andy

All true, and dump trailers get a little tongue light when dumping if the axle is front too far.

You sure about that? The more weight that is not over the axles is more weight on your truck maxing out the overloads. I believe 20% kingpin weight is about right. If you aren't supposed to put weight over the axles then what's the point of heavy axles? :msp_confused:

The point of heavy axles would be to haul more weight. ;)
I don't know let's look at the numbers.
the trailers pictured all apear to be 14,000 lb rated trailers. Let's assume that these trailers weigh 4000 lbs. empty (being dump trailers).
That will give us a payload of 10,000 lbs. The weight of the axles, springs, tires, & wheels won't be transfered through the neck so we'll take
1/3rd of the empty weight away. That leaves us 2680 empty weight + 10,000 load, or 12,680 to distribute.
So 12,680 with 20% on the ball would be 2536 lbs. on the pickup. Depending on how your ball is positioned 10 to 20% of that should go to the front axle so at 20% that would be adding 507.2 lbs to the front axle to help stop the vehicle. The front axle is the main braking axle, so unless you have some really souped up trailer brakes, that's not much help in stopping the extra 14,000 lbs. you're toting.

Andy

Here's a good example of distributing the weight. The front of the skidder is way heavier than the back, and if it is moved too far forward then the majority of the weight can be transfered to the truck (not good). Since the majority of the weight is just in front of the trailer tandems, and the remainder over them, weight is distributed over all 4 axles.

misc002.jpg

Andy

Here's a good example of distributing the weight. The front of the skidder is way heavier than the back, and if it is moved too far forward then the majority of the weight can be transfered to the truck (not good). Since the majority of the weight is just in front of the trailer tandems, and the remainder over them, weight is distributed over all 4 axles.

misc002.jpg

Andy

I agree with that. The way you worded it I thought you meant have the weight in front of the axles. In my mind that picture shows the weight over the axles.

Back