NRCS Programs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with "NRCS" woodlot programs? We have some acerage and are part of a NRCS fencing program. One of their people advised us to look over their timber management programs to see if one would fit our farm. One in particular might be in line with something I have already started...thinning out the Beach and Hop Hornbeam tress from my hard woods. I have 40-50 acres of 100 I had planned to thin out.

Not sure what you mean about NRCS "woodlot" programs. I am in a NRCS EQUIP program for timber management. My woodland is divided into 5 to 10 acre sections, and once per year a state forester comes out and marks the trees in one section that I should thin by felling or girdling. Each year he marks a different section. I perform all the labor which usually takes about 2 days for each 5 acres.

Apart from the income with few costs, the reason I do this is to improve the woodland health. Having the free advice of the state forester is invaluable. I always walk round with him when he is marking the trees.

Latest posts

Back