O64 to 066 mod and having issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIVEITAGALLON

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is jason and i am a begginer working on my own saws . i found this site after buying a basket case 064 and searched everywhere to figure out how to put it together . i followed the instructions on how to do the 066 kit on a 064 and the saw acts like it has a timing issue . when i pull it ends up yanking your hand like a lawn mower would do with a sheared flywheel key .... i never took the case apart but vaccume tested the crank for leaks and found a manifold leak and replaced it with stihl part so i guessed thats why the saw fried the top end . i purchased the stens 066 top end and when i put it together the saw had no spark . i purchased a coil from stens and set th air gap with a business card . hopefully yall can point me in the right direction on what to check . thanks for any help !
jason

Thanks for the response ! there are two mounting holes and thats it . ill call stihl dealer for a oe coil/module or do you suggest any alternative suppliers ?

I agree I just swapped my good 066 coil on my older 066 to see if it would work and it does likryou say.

The one on the older 066 has 2 mounting bolts the newer on has 3. Maybe the dog leg brad speaks of.

I ended op setting a tight gap on the saw with no spark and that fixed it. I used a sheet of paper thin paper.

Good luck.

thanks for the response ! the saw is a 064 av , if i close the gap tighter and the is no yank back will it be ok ? i have not even set the rpm yet cause i thought the coil might be advanced to much and burn the top end up . i am a rookie so understand come to the guys on hear for advise !

thanks for the response ! the saw is a 064 av , if i close the gap tighter and the is no yank back will it be ok ? i have not even set the rpm yet cause i thought the coil might be advanced to much and burn the top end up . i am a rookie so understand come to the guys on hear for advise !

No. Closing the gap isn't going to advance your timing.
You need to advance the flywheel (if double keyed) or buy the flywheel that is meant to be ran with the coil you just bought.

pulled the nut on the flywheel and their is only one notch for the keyway . i looked at the receipt and it says the coil oem #is 000 400 1300 and the stens # is 600-227 i see nothing on the discription of it fitting this exact saw :msp_mad: i just set the air gap paper thin and it helped alot but still yanks ya back every 5 pulls to almost give the saw a kiss ......
could someone suggest what coil to get or better to get a flywheel ? thanks for the help !

Does the saw run? Or is it just popping and almost running?

When I get tired at the end of a long day I sometimes give a half hearted pull to start mine and it literally yanks my arm of. Kinda saying if you want to start me you better mean it.

what're the numbers on the old coil? Also the part number on the back of the flywheel? The flywheel must match the ignition, if not your problem is the sympton

Saw will start pretty easy just don't want to run it long or tune it if it has the ignition issue .
I finished my rope off on my 361 after pulling the 066 .
I ran it in idle for about ten minutes and cleaned it out and ripped on it real quick it revs poor and seams real rich . I read start off at 2 turns out on high and low .
I don't think I should rev it and set rpm with a coil issue though . But like I said I'm a rookie !

what're the numbers on the old coil? Also the part number on the back of the flywheel? The flywheel must match the ignition, if not your problem is the sympton

I must have pitched the old coil , and I don't own a flywheel puller for a stihl so ill order one and as soon as I get it off ill let ya know . Thank you .

I think you'd play hell to get it to run and idle on the wrong coil.

Also needles are 1 turn not 2. Shes running rich acroos the board. Readjust to 1turn and tune from there. I bet it smooths right out

In order to use the 000 400 1300 module you will need the 122 400 1203 flywheel with the dual key ways .

Later
Dan

Latest posts

Back