Oak slab wood, IN DISGUISE! :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find out if the trailer has brakes, you will want them (in working order) if hauling anywhere close to 10k. Also the tires should be rated for the trailer, E rated for example, so they can handle the weight.

gunna drive me nuts hauling that thing at 30 mph. ka-KLUNK ka-KLUNK :cry: but for the price, you cant beat it...

Apply weight to long skinny pedal on the right! Or are ya pulling it with a Ford? If so I understand...:D

Seriously, I don't see any reason you couldn't run highway speed with that trailer. I don't mind pintle trailers. Pintle hitches are used on lots of HD equipment trailers, pulling 20 tons or more behind dump trucks. As long as they rotate like they're supposed to, they're way superior off road - although I'd take the extra ring off that one before it creases some bodywork. They also cut down on thieves and borrowers. I never really noticed the banging, but I was raised pulling gravity wagons with farm hitches. Now those, especially empty, will flat get your attention with every bump. Kinda like a big drum on four wheels.

BTW, local CL ad I saw tonight had debarked slabwood bundles, +-1 cord, for $50

Last edited:
Apply weight to long skinny pedal on the right! Or are ya pulling it with a Ford? If so I understand...:D

hey 98% of all fords are still on the road today

...the other 2% actually made it home :clap:

THIS IS FORD COUNTRY, AT NIGHT YOU CAN HEAR THE CHEVYS' RUST

Good for you, helping out the country and all, buying Obamamobiles, in a few years he may be repairing it for you personally (I Hope).

I live just south of Baltimore, Maryland. I have one tree service that allows me to cut from his yard free of charge. And there is always great wood there.

Recently I came across another tree service that has agreed to dispose of their wood chips in my yard. To be honest, I am doing him a favor by taking it. I use it to fill in some low spots. This guy will give me wood that he doesn't want to sell. The first load was a big poplar and last week I got a huge Sycamore. Not the greatest wood, but still burns pretty well.

Look up the tree services in your area and see if they will drop some wood for you. You may get lucky. Or if you can arrange transportation, go to their yard and cut your own.

My FIL gets slab from the sawmill for real cheap. It's my job to cut it up.

How I do it is trying to minimize my cutting time.
attachment.php

1. 1 meter lengths are cut off of the 4 meter long bundles. Here in the rear of the stack.
attachment.php

2. They are staked for drying all year long.
attachment.php

3. I simply get on top and cut 2x the complete length of the 1 meter pieces. Simply pluge my blade full throttle into the wood pile and pull through the complete length. Approx. 30 cm pieces then.
attachment.php

4. Usually 1-2 strikes with the handaxe is enought for nice pieces that fit into the oven.
attachment.php

For me that's all there is to it. Sorry for the bad quality pics they were from the mobile phone.

Get That Slabwood!

Much of the slabwood that I have seen lately is dead dry and has practically no bark at all remaining. If it does, I use that for kindling. A couple of splits here and there is about all that it needs.

Slabwood is excellent firewood and burns hot. My thanks to all sawmills who make it available to the public. Go and get it!
Totally agree I buy a 20ft tip bin every year the mill has so much the have to process it in to 16"to18" lengths to keep up with the over burden then the load straight into the tip

Latest posts

Back