oak slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The weather was nasty today but I got a little slabbing done. I am using this oak for a deck on a bridge so nothing fancy. Might notice the bar I'm using is a little long for the mini mill work but my 24" bar is upstate. A tad dangerous but whether a 24" bar or 36" that could still do damage if you slip. Just got to hold on tight. If anybody has designed a saftey devise for this mill lets hear about it. The plexi shield that comes with the mill is useless.
th_glads8-28-06007001.jpg

th_glads8-28-06010001.jpg

th_glads8-28-06001001.jpg

th_glads8-28-06002001.jpg

th_glads8-28-06003001.jpg

th_glads8-28-06006001.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a red or white oak? I couldnt tell from the pics. I havent seen or heard of a safety device for that type of attachment. Im sure someone in here will come up with something or have some good advice.

Red, I think. I'll check a leaf tomorrow or Wed. seeing it's supposed rain cats and dogs here tomorrow. I don't know why my pics came out so small. Must not of paid my dues last month.

scottr said:
Adrpk , I just looked at Granbergs website and the Mini Mill II does not have a plexiglass shield . How about a longer metal plate to replace the plexiglass shield ?
Ya, it does come with one but as I said it is useless.

Yep, that's the guard. I was taking about something to protect my hand from the chain, not saw dust. That guard attaches with two metal screws. If your hand slips it isn't going to stop it. I'm thinking something like a metal tube cut in half welded to the handle like a sword has that piece to keep the blade of the opponent sliding down your blade and cutting your hand.

I was just wondering about the type of oak because of your use for it, the red will not last too awfully long in an exterior application. Sorry to veere off of the subject.

That is right on dusty. Good to know. Didn't go over today. I'll check it tomorrow. It's all I have for now. If I don't get a deck on the bridge I'll be hiking up to my place. Maybe I'll treat it with linseed oil.

another day

Some more pics of oak slabs. And to indulge a little a few pics of what I do at work.
Looks like red, Dusty. Oh well. Has anybody ever successfully preserved red oak outdoors before?
The tree fell on the property that I am building that wall on. How convenient, huh? The people are cool to let me chainsaw all day in order to remove it in board form, great uh.
It's is a long term big project. Retaining walls, patio, plantings, bridges(not what the oak is for, the oak is for a bridge on my property) and I also do the maintenance on this place. I do little else these days, these people have managed to keep me going all year. No problem!

Adrpk said:
Some more pics of oak slabs. And to indulge a little a few pics of what I do at work.
Looks like red, Dusty. Oh well. Has anybody ever successfully preserved red oak outdoors before?
The tree fell on the property that I am building that wall on. How convenient, huh? The people are cool to let me chainsaw all day in order to remove it in board form, great uh.
It's is a long term big project. Retaining walls, patio, plantings, bridges(not what the oak is for, the oak is for a bridge on my property) and I also do the maintenance on this place. I do little else these days, these people have managed to keep me going all year. No problem!

Nice pictures.

The bark on that tree looks different than the bark on the Red Oaks we have here but the grain (and color) tells me it's red oak. The main reason red oak is not good outdoors is the cell structure is like a bundle of straws. It wicks moisture deep into the fibers and rots internally. You may be able to treat it so that it lasts a while longer but, personally, I'd use it for indoor projects only. White oak or cedar would be a better choice.

Last edited:
Talented little fella aren't ya :rock:
Great pics
The grain on that wood looks beautiful, wish I had some.
Are you a landscaper or a grounds keeper?

if you can get it to dry--before it rots--linseed oil works great--been there--may have to reapply every so oft--would coat both sides also--and ends--in other words--completely

Latest posts

Back