oak slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adrpk,

If I am not mistaken that log is not red oak but cherry. Cherry has that very dark bark, with small flakes, and the blonde sapwood near the bark layer.

The wood has characteristic occasional black pitch pockets, seen on the face of the log in the bottom 1/3 of the log.

Are there any other trees nearby that have the same bark? What do the leaves look like? The leaf in one of your pictures is an oak leaf, but the lumber and bark sure don't look like oak.

Not sure exactly how to test to see if it is cherry. One way...Put a board in the sun and cover part of it up. If the uncovered part darkens and the covered part stays light after a few hours, then it is cherry.

Regards,

Ted

Last edited:
Cherry

Ted, I'm with ya! It looks like Cherry to me. The grain pattern is pretty distinctive.

Beautifull log though!

Last edited:
smithie55 said:
Talented little fella aren't ya :rock:
Great pics
The grain on that wood looks beautiful, wish I had some.
Are you a landscaper or a grounds keeper?
I'm not so little. 5'8 190. All steel from the ground up. Smithie you can have some. Lets see, you bring your white oak and I'll send you home with my fine red, deal? I am a landscaper. I resently gave up my maintenance accounts. I didn't fair well with managing a crew. And I couldn't go back to cutting lawns myself. I've just want to travel around the world only to return to work on cabin and visit my family and friends. Anybody got any ideas about how to do that?

olyman said:
if you can get it to dry--before it rots--linseed oil works great--been there--may have to reapply every so oft--would coat both sides also--and ends--in other words--completely
Great! That is good news. Thanks

t_andersen said:
Looks scary to me! I can see why you want a better guard-
Ya, right. I'm working on the design. My landlord at my shop is a weekend welder so as soon as I see him I'll get him on it. It isn't so bad if I use my 24" bar but like I said it's upstate.

TedChristiansen said:
Adrpk,

If I am not mistaken that log is not red oak but cherry. Cherry has that very dark bark, with small flakes, and the blonde sapwood near the bark layer.

The wood has characteristic occasional black pitch pockets, seen on the face of the log in the bottom 1/3 of the log.

Are there any other trees nearby that have the same bark? What do the leaves look like? The leaf in one of your pictures is an oak leaf, but the lumber and bark sure don't look like oak.

Not sure exactly how to test to see if it is cherry. One way...Put a board in the sun and cover part of it up. If the uncovered part darkens and the covered part stays light after a few hours, then it is cherry.

Regards,

Ted

Not sure about what to say to you two guys. Ok, first, I know the tree. I've been working in that area of the yard for two years now. The homeowners asked me to clean out the woods by hacking out the underbrush. I didn't. I am that way. Hence my impoversed life(not a good head for a guy in business for himself). I instead keep telling them to cut down the bigger trees to open up the area to let in some sun to allow for the younger healthier trees to thrive. This oak (or cherry if you insist:laugh: ) was one of the trees I refered to. Low and behold one day about a month ago I arrive to find the tree knocked down by a microburst. Old tree, not in great shope at the base.
Anyway it is an oak. The bark in reality is a little ruffer than you see in the pic.

TedChristiansen said:
Perhaps this might help.

Ted
Thanks for that post Ted. I find red oak boards are usually more on the reddish pinkish side, white oak usually more tan, often lighter. BUT, depending on the soil where it grew, I've found all shades of red, brown and tan in both red and white oak. It's kinda like a crap shoot :yoyo:

Every cherry tree I ever opened up though, was always a shade of pink when first cut, once in a while a darker red, unless there was some stain from either metal or biological defect in the log.

Latest posts

Back