Oak this afternoon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XJWoody

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had a tree in the way of progress... it is the first to go, opening up room for (and harvesting some pines for) a shop/garage.

DSCF1712.jpg

I wanted it down the roadbed... centered on those old chunks was the spot. The lean is approx 180° from the spot, and the normal wind is head-on 180°

DSCF1714.jpg

I was about done with the backcut, and the wind picked up wicked & contrary. I had a small wedge tapped in, so got my big wedge in, got the saw safe and set to whackin...

DSCF1717.jpg

80° off target, no real harm done, just a snakepit of compound binds to sort through... and that nearby 8"+- oak that's got sprung. That's bonus fun I suppose.

DSCF1716.jpg

Last edited:
Looked like a nice day for it.............sucked here.

Actually that last pic was taken with fairly big drops falling... I still got after it for awhile, got one side of the top loosened up. The drops weren't getting smaller, so I put up the saws and climbed back in to make some more paint dots @ <18"> till I ran out of tree.

We'll get back into it after some ZZZs...

Nice pics. :greenchainsaw: Is that all going to be fire wood or are you going to get some boards out of that tree?

Nice pics. :greenchainsaw: Is that all going to be fire wood or are you going to get some boards out of that tree?

I have a 6' chunk in the center of the stem picked out to cut a fireplace mantel, the rest of it is marked in 18" chunks & going up the chimney.

It's an odd (for here) tree, all the branches are fairly small diameter, so the only splitting required will be on the stem chunks.

Got back after it this afternoon...

Started off with the little Dolmar 401, and mostly finished limbing the tops out, and chunking up to size.

DSCF1759.jpg

DSCF1765.jpg

Limbing out the top and bucking up the stem used one tank of fuel each through the 460 & 401. The 361 only got a couple dozen cuts today.

DSCF1766.jpg

DSCF1767.jpg

The Tigers overlooking their kill...
DSCF1768.jpg

The mess to look after next...
DSCF1762.jpg

It was a good afternoon making chips... :cheers:

looks to me like u cut off the hinge on the side opposite of where it ended up, just something to watch for next time, be safe and have fun

looks to me like u cut off the hinge on the side opposite of where it ended up, just something to watch for next time, be safe and have fun

Yessir that hinge wasn't my best ever (I was disgusted, several things went bad) and I really should have bailed on the operation entirely until the wind settled down. But pretty much anywhere it wanted to fall was "safe," so I went with it.

?s

nice oak woody!

wish i had even one tree like that in the yard.:dizzy: to cut down!!!

who is in your family of saws in pic 3?
which of your saws was the noodler?
where is the 'woody' xj?;)

thanks for the pics!
:cheers:

nice oak woody!

wish i had even one tree like that in the yard.:dizzy: to cut down!!!

who is in your family of saws in pic 3?
which of your saws was the noodler?
where is the 'woody' xj?;)

thanks for the pics!
:cheers:

Saws: PS401 on the stump, 361 facing away, 460 hiding in the leaves.

460 is the noodlemaker, just trying to hurry up the breaking in, plus I hate splitting rounds.

The running Jeep and it's idle twin sister (pic 2) were both far, far away from the felling operation. (safety rule 1: Park where the fellers park...)

Back