Oak Tree is sick and getting worse...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_Peacock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so it's that time of year again when the LOML and I walk our property and inspect our trees to check on new growth and overall health of our plants and trees.

Last year, I posted here about an Oak tree on the back side of our property that has pealing bark on 2 sides and just looked suspicious to me.

Well, here we are several months later and here's what we found today:

DSCF2082-oak1.jpg

The same bad spot as last year, but now we are seeing it larger than before as well as surrounding areas that are loosing bark.

DSCF2083-oak2.jpg

Now looking further up the tree, we see more bark gone with bark still splitting up the one trunk and a formation of a type of "mushrooms" on the front-most trunk.

DSCF2084-oak3.jpg

Still further up the tree, you can see where the bark is continuing to split way on up the trunk and when you tap on the bark around those areas, it is almost like a hollow drum sound to it.

DSCF2085-oak4.jpg

Still the bark is pealing off around some of the roots and the wood just under what used to be the bark has dried out and turned black. In many places there are little white growths of fungus on the wood that is bare and without bark.

DSCF2086-oak5.jpg

On the opposite side of the tree, we can see this even more with more bark pealing and the wood underneath turning black.

DSCF2087-oak6.jpg

Now you can see even more of the "mushroom" growth on the tree and further down in the pics, you'll see even more growths like this, but much further up the tree.

DSCF2088-oak7.jpg

In this pic, you'll see a wide spread of the fungal growth even further up the tree. I don't know what kind of fungus this is, but it can't be healthy for my tree.

DSCF2089-oak8.jpg

Here I am just ever so slightly pulling out on a spot of the bark and there's fungus underneath and it goes so far up the tree that I can't reach it unless I climb up into the tree.

I've posted all this to simply ask these questions:
1. What is wrong with my Oak tree?
2. What fungus is that that is traveling up the trunk of the tree?
3. Do I need to take this tree down?

Both tree trunks are putting out new growth, but from what I can see, they are going to be dead trees in the not to distant future. I'd rather cut this tree down than to have any part of my family injured or killed by falling dead limbs out of this tree.

Please advise.

You have visible decay on the outside along with growth on the outside that may indicate more decay on the inside. Looks like a big tree supporting a lot of weight up top. A rotting trunk may not support that weight. If its a risk of hitting something if it falls then its time to think about getting rid of it.

1. What is wrong with my Oak tree?

decay

2. What fungus is that that is traveling up the trunk of the tree?

looks like a saprophytic--scavenger--fungus, eating what is already dead.

3. Do I need to take this tree down?

Maybe. Cabling may be another option. The tree should be inspected by an arborist, who would do that "tap test" to see how wide the dead area is, and whether the tree is growing reaction wood around the infection.

That will give you a prognosis, which will guide your decision.

What does the LOYL think?

I am with Guy, get a qualified Arborist out to physically inspect your tree if you have serious concerns.

The fungi is too hard (for me) to even guess from the pics though the pics are good, just not enough detail on the fruiting bodies. It is possible they are opportunisitic wound parasites and not really of major concern, they could of course be far more serious than that....you would need someone to as Guy suggests deterrmine as best they can how far the dysfunction extends and ID the fungi properly to be sure.

I am with Guy, get a qualified Arborist out to physically inspect your tree if you have serious concerns.

The fungi is too hard (for me) to even guess from the pics though the pics are good, just not enough detail on the fruiting bodies. It is possible they are opportunisitic wound parasites and not really of major concern, they could of course be far more serious than that....you would need someone to as Guy suggests deterrmine as best they can how far the dysfunction extends and ID the fungi properly to be sure.

You mean ISA CERTIFIED arborist.

Hey Monk, in Australia, "qualified" indicates a certification.

The dead bark may be due to an infection rising from the fork, judging by the pattern made by the conks.

Lightning history in the area?

The streak going up the tee makes me suspect that lightning caused the injury. Now that wood rotting fungus has established itself, you need to evaluate whether this tree has any targets. No targets, no problem.

The streak going up the tee makes me suspect that lightning caused the injury. Now that wood rotting fungus has established itself, you need to evaluate whether this tree has any targets. No targets, no problem.

If I remember right Dennis has a nice home near that tree and more importantly young children playing in the yard. The fact the tree is co-dominate and the decay extending into the roots would be cautionary but as seer said may not necessarily justify removal, possible
crown cleaning,thinning and cabling.

Hey Monk, in Australia, "qualified" indicates a certification.

The dead bark may be due to an infection rising from the fork, judging by the pattern made by the conks.

Lightning history in the area?

Sorry, but there are people around here (U.S) that advertise as "QUALIFIED" and mislead the public into thinking they're "CERTIFIED" Arborists. I believe ISA Certification is a very prominant title and it should be honored that way. Sorry about the misunderstanding I just belive strongly on the topic of certification.

I believe ISA Certification is a very prominant title and it should be honored that way. Sorry about the misunderstanding I just belive strongly on the topic of certification.
No problems; I've been strong on it for 17 years now. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies everyone. We'll take a better look at this tree when the weather improves a bit and when I'm not doing stuff at the day job.

Cool; if you want to pull off the dead bark and take new pics that might get you some help.

Back