Oak tree question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pinus said:
add something screen over it which will minimize the amount of rainfall reaching the cavity .
Good idea pinus, how about a big roofed birdfeeder built between the trunks?

Dangerous? Where is the danger? What kind of oak is it, a lobata? Is it evergreen?

Take another look,here's where I think the standing water and possible future rot may come into play.
So your saying the water won't cause the center to rot?Because fungus needs air to live and grow?

Thanks for the complements on my pics...other people have said I take good pics too...mabey it is a hidden talent I should build upon.

I wouldn't worry, but if it will make you feel better, the best protection would be to add a dynamic cabling system in the crown, 2/3's of the way up the tree. One of our site sponsors, Sherrill, sells Cobra and a few others too.

In time, it may begin to rot and perhaps even rot enough to drain the water. The tree will then work to repair the damage and maybe close it up and refill the pond. This could cycle like that for 100 years, who knows?
The tree looks like it was once cut down and three or more stems grew up from the stump. Now their bases are growing together. Although as you surmised, this base configuration is not the strongest, because the root flare doesn't grow well in the center. Off setting this weakness is the protection each stem gives the others from wind loads, and the fact that Oak is strong, rot resistant wood. Also, when a tree has a weakness that allows movement, this movement signals the tree to grow stronger in that area of movement. We often see trees that have a damaged buttress root, have a larger than normal buttress root configuration on the rest of the tree.
This is why I recommend a dynamic cable, that allows free movement of the stems, and then only holds if the tree moves beyond a certain point. This movement helps the tree to continue to grow stronger in the weak area because of that movement.

I totally agree with Mike. There, I said it, that wasn't so hard!

Have you probed the Y yet?

"What kind of oak is it, a lobata? Is it evergreen?" I hare to be a nag, but species makes a big difference in assessment and prognosis.

That is very good observation from Mike, that the tree stems from the old stump! This solved for me the mystery why such cavity formed. The stump regrowth theory is supported by the crooked shape of trunks also. Another concept appears for me that the some roting fungus infection inhabiting evry stump is anyway there, but the virgous tree is probably keeping it under the control. Trees growing from stumps are always weaker, shorter living and prone for infections. So if the breakage of the tree can cause something kind of serious damage the (dynamic) cable is good solution.

treeser, birdfeeder is surely a good romantic solution :)
Easier is to bind something "film" between the trunks ;)

Evergreen Oaks here are called Live Oaks and there are two species- Canyon Live Oak{Quercus chrysolepis} and Interior Live Oak {Quercus wislizenii} and that is what this one is.I appreciate the replies and won't worry about it
and well check out the dynamic cable.Thanks
Oh and I am not going to "Probe" and possibly start a problem where there is none.

"I am not going to "Probe" and possibly start a problem where there is none."

Please note that I only recommended probing Gently with a Blunt instrument. NO harm would be done. If you're still concerned that you may start a problem, you're right to back off, especially if you are built like your avatar; you may not know your own strength! :blush:

Sheshovel said:
Your real funny guy!Did you notice the bat in the hole?
No, I missed it; can you work on the pic so it's visible? Never knew of an aquatic bat before.

If that's a bat, you will either have a strong odor or a scientific first.

Even if you fear to probe, you still can scoop, right? :blob5:

YES I can scoop,but if I do won't I be allowing air to get to the bark where fungi can start to grow?
No just kidding,
I will scoop it out for you K?
And post a pic of it scooped out.

The cavity seem not dangerous and the good scenario will be the filling of it after some 20 years by oak itself. Beeing continously under water is not normal situation for the oak bark. So, it can brobably survive such "climate", but beter is to prevent this.

The very best thing to do is treeage, don't do anything and see what happens, in the meantime plant another tree or three for the next fella to fool with.

Latest posts

Back