oak tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmerstree

Reaction score
I am looking at 4 mature oak trees approximately 80 feet tall growing from the same root system. Two of the trees are leaning over the house to try to get sunlight. The owner has asked me to trim the branches over her house because last summer a large limb damaged the house. Trimming the overhanging branches would leave almost nothing left of the two trees so I suggested removal to get rid of the threat of the trees dropping large limbs and give the other large oak room. Since they share the same root system I am concerned with possible damaging the tree that will remain or opening it up to disease as oak trees are to be trimmed when dormant. Does anybody have any thoughts on this

Sounds like stump shoots. I suppose the problem is that the client doesn't want to hear how much it is to remove them all?

here is the pic the right tree is the healthiest and not leaning over the house that is the one I would recommend keeping 20140425_102456.jpg

Im not talking about clearing limbs that might touch the roof the customer is requesting large limbs that are above the roof to be removed

customer should understand that reducing the limbs over house will preserve contributions and reduce risk. Sell her pruning, if you have a way to get out there and make the right cuts (15% off the end can increase stability by 50%). if you remove entire stems you increase the risk of the remaining stems failing.

if oak wilt is a concern, paint the cuts to block vector access.

where are you located? can you shoot us a pic of the base of the trunks?

If you remove one of the trunks, the root system that was under it may rot away and leave the rest of the bunch unanchored on that side. Think of it as nothing to anchor the tree from strong winds coming from the removed side. It could blow over to the strong side years later. One of the opposite trees may have some lean? Mostly weighted to one side? The limb that damaged the house, was it dead wood, storm damage or what? Is the base healthy or is it swelled with rot inside from the old stump?

Latest posts

Back