Oak Tree Struck by Lighting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YooHawn

Reaction score
I have an Oak tree in the back yard, it's at least 60 to 70 feet tall and is composed of 3 individual trunks. One of the trunks appears to have been struck by lightning about 40 feet up and the split travels down towards the base but stops about 4 feet from the base/root area. This happened about 3 years ago and like a dope I haven't done anything about it. While it has healed at the edges the inside area has become very dark and spongee. I'am not sure if the excessive rain in MD this year has contrbuted to the darkness or not. The dark spongee material probably an inch to an inch and half thick. The trunk is close to 2 feet in diameter. Although difficult to say without seeing it, is this tree beyond saving? It grew leaves fine this spring but I suspect it has a mild case of anracthnose, which it had 4 or so years ago, had it sprayed and it came through okay. I have an arborist coming on the 17th to look at it. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'd like to have some hope before the 17th.

Thanks,
JH

If it is alive now I predict that it will probably survive until the 17th.;) Seriously, there is too much we don't know from your description (nothing beats being there) to really say much. FWIW many lightening struck trees survive and have long and productive lives.:)

Latest posts

Back