oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a homeowner with an oak tree in my back yard next to a retaining wall that is being built. The ground is uneven and we were going to even it out to make a level backyard, which means adding some dirt to the base of the oak tree. How high can you add dirt to the base of an oak tree?

There are some oaks that are so sensitive to construction that if you say "Shovel" too loudly they die. This is meant as a bit of arbo humor to let you know that any tree, and some oaks in particular, are VERY sensitive to construction damage. That includes any cuts or fills, compaction of the soil around their roots which extend well beyond the dripline or other soil disturbance.

If you Google "construction damage to trees" you'll find lots of good information.

The conclusion is that the less disturbance the better.

Some pic-s here will very helpful. I think that oak which roots will be damaged in some extent or which base and roots will covered with additional soil will respond with the death of its top and/or main branches, will not probably die completely, but will loose its beauty in great extent.

Last edited:
The soil around most trees in cities is quite eroded due to leafraking etc. I've found that some fill of good soil can be a good thing for them. I'm more concerned about the wall, and the roots cut for its footing. Get an arborist on site asap if you value the tree.
Pictures here will get you some 2-D advice, onsite we give you 4-D advice. Check the Avoiding and Treatment info in the link below.

It is probably right that if the soil around tree is eroded to the level of opening its roots on the surface then light additional soil layer covering the roots has positive effect
v.

I disagree,any addition of soil around an Oak tree is detrimental and can lead to the decline and death of the tree .The tree adapts to the natural errosion by some of it's roots growing up to the top inches of the existing soil.
Adding soil smothers the roots.
As far as a retaining wall goes..how close to the tree
are you cutting back for the wall?

I think it's funny how there seems to be more contention on the "homeowner helper forum" than almost anywhere else on this site. But, it's a good thing mostly, as long as people are civil- a little back and forth can be helpful.
But, about the topic at hand: I guess my comment would be like most things it does depend so much on the individual site, species, and single tree, and I agree with treeseer that the best thing would be to get a knowledgable arborist there in person, good consultation is a cheap investment. I also agree with the potential significance of the wall footer, how close is it to the tree, and how deep?
With fill soil, what's often more important than depth (up to a point) is texture, creating distinct soil interfaces of differing textures can severely limit water and subsequently air movement. But, fill depth is important, and fill soil is generally detrimental, and if you do really value the tree, you should look into other options besides just burying the tree. But it sounds like you've already started on your project.

Back