Oak Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kterlouw

Reaction score
I'm looking for a variety of oak tree which keeps its leaves all winter long, other than a pin oak. I'm not sure if it's a white oak, shingle oak, swamp oak, or -- ?? Does anyone out there know.
Thanks!

WItht the subgenus it is easy. the white goup have rounded lobes and the red have pointy lobes, to the leaves that is.

getting down to the specices is more involved.

I live in south louisiana and have many oaks. Most of mine keep most of their leaves all winter long. However, we had two consecutive evenings of 17 degrees and daytime temps not above 35. Well, this year all of the leaves are a beautiful orange and are starting to fall. It is difficult to tell which ones are more likely to keep their leaves. Another thought, live oaks around here have not lost their leaves. Be prepared to grow old watching this oak grow, though.

ray in south louisiana

The 80' shingle oak that was across from my house with the solar collector on the roof seemed to retain its leaves most winters. At least in the part of the tree that shaded by roof.

Bob Underwood

Latest posts

Back