Oak tress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vectoroh31

Reaction score
I just found this forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before. I have three rather large oak trees in my back yard. I don't know what types, but one has different bark than the others. Anyway, recently, one has begun dropping thousands and thousands of these little "seeds." For want of another description, they look like rat droppings. I never noticed this before. What are these and can I expect them every year?

Perhaps the reason for the new awareness is that I had a concrete patio poured and it is covered with these. If it rains, they leave stains. I used to have a wood deck, but it was never covered like this.

Caterpillar droppings (aka poop). Its usually a cyclical thing with some years being worse than others. Natural predators and other factors often keep them in check, but high-value trees MAY need to be treated to prevent defoliation. You may want to call some local Certified Arborists for an evaluation.

I'm laughing thinking about your description of the "little seeds." Whatever you do, don't plant them, you'll be up to your eyeballs in baby caterpillars.:D

(Will I get deleted for saying "poop"?) :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back