Oakzilla!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, this is a forum, not a court of law. The whole point of these forums, and the main advantage for the participants...is the free exchange of viewpoints.
Everyone has an opinion, and whether we agree or not....we have to be able to hear the other guy's side....without pulling out a revolver!
I insulted nobody. I didn't sling mud.
I wrote my opinion. Pure & simple.
This is surely doesn't qualify as a flame???
I fear that, in general, "free debate" is at risk of becoming extinct in the USA.

wt:censored: 3 post and you are:dizzy:tom trees

Hey, no offense taken on this end and I was the one that cut the tree. Unless anyone else wants to show up and help us cut and demonstrate first hand their tree dropping prowness, I stand by my claim that it was a decent cut with room for improvement.

Now on to more pressing matters where some folks that have not spent a lot of time stomping around in the woods could learn a thing or two. No one has taken up the challenge yet but this tree had some stuff wrong with it that caused the loggers to leave it standing in the woods. What is/are they? Come on, someone step up to the plate. Take a look at the pic of the tree on the ground and see if you can spot the flaws.

gee i dont know if i should jump into this one. i used to build houses and got lots of folks who would stop buy the job site and say "you should do this or that" or "why did you cut down that nice tree?" most couldnt tell a oak from a elm!they did not know the full story. i have built on alot of treed lots and seen both extremes, some peaple buy a great treed lot and clear cut while others want to save every tree. usually a comprimise is best. i even asked one couple why, after telling me to clear the lot, they didnt buy a lot with little or no trees. "we like the subdivision". well then if everone did that the subdivison would have no trees! on the other hand i had a client call back after a few yrs complaining his trees were dieing, well i told him they were to close to the excavation and the drip line when we started. i always try to save trees if i can but its pretty hard to do with sevice trenches, tile beds etc. having said that One of the last homes i build for myself had some lovely white oaks and i left it pretty much intact, ie not much lawn and the buys said "we like the house but we love the lot", one of there main reasons for buying it was the intact lot.
looks like the original posted has do his homework and is doing a great job with his site dispite the grade limitations. good luck with your home.:clap:

This is a "tree" and cutting forum, not facebook, so if you post a picture up of a tree or stump, you can expect some comments about it, either way.

Maybe its an camerical illusion, its looks like there is a 2" flat spot at the back of your dutchman wedge. When you start cutting from the other side, and wedging it over, that 2" is going to close up, and give the whole tree something to sit on, holding it up. You can bang away all day with wedges, it aint going over until you either snap your hinge off of pull the fibers right out of the log, or nibble it thin like it sounds like you did. I am sure you (and anyone else ever trying it) will look and see if that is what their hinge is doing in the future.

Your tree is down, no one got hurt, and I bet it was a lot of fun!

I have made worse cuts. I remember them. And I dont post any pics of them! Ha ha. This is and has always been a great place to learn.

Latest posts

Back