Odd carb adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am working on a 2000 model 261 Husqvarna. Been trying to get the high side right. What seems weird is the fact it will not four stroke but will flood out instead. When you do turn the high side back it will go back to less then a turn out to get it to run good. Now is it common to have the high side less then a turn out? It revs up great from a idle and will idle a full tank of fuel away with out a hitch. Just seems weird compared to most other saws I have adjusted that the high side is out a little more then a full turn. This is about 3/4 to 7/8 of a turn form full sit.
Thanks All
Bob

At higher elevations the L and H jets are both a tad short of a full turn open. I adjust the L for easy start and the H while in a big cut for most power. So if it starts easy and cuts with power then I think thats the bottom line IMHO.

High side

Hey Bob,

Yep I know just what you mean. I can't get my Partner 5000plus to 4 cycle either. It just won't? It will bog out but not 4 cycle. It's a real screamer of a saw so I worried about over reving. It runs like a champ so I quit bothering. I set it too where it's free reving just in from where it would bog otherwise.

Zee

Thanks for the info. I was just worried something was not right. Even at a full turn the saw as I would call wants to load up in the cut. But, with it back off just a little it runs smooth in the cut. My 066 every now and then does 4 stroke in the cut. Then again I feel safer with it sat that way due to the fact of the 32 inch bar and blocking and ripping huge old oak trees. Its some nasty hard knotty mess. Even in 10 by 12 chunks it still will not split by hand. But, as long as it fits the door on the furnace is all I care.
This husky was from Tenn almost in miss. When I go it you pulled your arm off to start it. My buddy told me the carb was rebuilt at the shop that replaced the coil. Well I tell you one thing is that the guy that put it back on did not put the gasket in right. Flip the gasket the right way line up the impulse holes and their you go. I still am getting it set for my area. Just a little more tweaking. I thought I would ask about the H before I done any more. I am going to try back the L off just a hair next.

Thanks again
Bob

I cut away the stops on my new Husqvarna and could not get it to 4-stroke as described in the many posts.
I ended up about 1/4 turn richer than the stop; where the plug is nut-brown (reading taken after shutting the saw off in the middle of a long, hard cut) and the exhaust smells like my 30 year old saw.

Don't remember exactly which model but there is at least on Stihl saw where the high side adjustment is bottomed out. Zero turns is the spec.

sedanman said:
Don't remember exactly which model but there is at least on Stihl saw where the high side adjustment is bottomed out. Zero turns is the spec.

are you sure... ?? I looked at the entire list, but I don't see that... except for the single screw carb which doesn't have a high jet... They range from 7/8 to 2 1/4 before installation of any (if req.) limiter caps.

Zodiac45 said:
Hey Bob,

Yep I know just what you mean. I can't get my Partner 5000plus to 4 cycle either. It just won't? It will bog out but not 4 cycle. It's a real screamer of a saw so I worried about over reving. It runs like a champ so I quit bothering. I set it too where it's free reving just in from where it would bog otherwise.

Zee

Many of the newer and particularly the smaller saws will not "4 - cycle".. All you'll hear is a lowering (or raising) of muffler tone.. I tune a lot of saws each week and I just reach for the tach to check the High end if there is no clear 4 cycling.....

So if you have a tach, you just turn the H screw so the WOT rpm is correct for the saw? Where do you get a chainsaw tach?

Back