Odd looking chainsaw bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark71GTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was working on an Echo 302 and it has a strange bar on it. At first I thought it was worn strangely, but the roller tip seems to align with the odd shape. The end of the bar reminds me of a kitchen knife. It is an Oregon bar. The numbers (best I can tell) are RC 25922 and below that 440SZAA041. Is this an oddball or have I lived a sheltered life

Attachments

• IMG_20151006_221139664.jpg
    IMG_20151006_221139664.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
It is what is called a banana bar, Poulan used them for years. The radius design was intended to reduce kickback. Your picture shows the bar upside down.

McCullough used them also, and replacements for Poulan come that way too. You should be able to find an aftermarket replacement (Oregon too) in standard configuration, allowing it to be flipped once in a while for even wear.

Duane

I was working on an Echo 302 and it has a strange bar on it. At first I thought it was worn strangely, but the roller tip seems to align with the odd shape. The end of the bar reminds me of a kitchen knife. It is an Oregon bar. The numbers (best I can tell) are RC 25922 and below that 440SZAA041. Is this an oddball or have I lived a sheltered life
Old post, but here's what I know. They were invented in the mid 70's by a saw mechanic at the BCFP camp in Port renfrew BC. I was on the forestry crew in that camp. We were the test dummies. The originals were solid tips, you couldn't flip your bar, and the chain would throw way more often.

Thanks for the follow-up. I have came across dozens of these bars since that post. Each and every one of them have gone straight to the scrap pile.

Back