Odd question... Where do loggers use the bathroom?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they have a porta potty or a camping toilet inside of the crummy, or do you guys just go in a hole the woods?
Ummm, in the woods. And a lot of guys fail to dig a hole and just lay toilet paper on top. I once told a crew where their missing tools were by using their poop locations as how to get there.

One chaser kept pooping on the old landings which made things icky for me when going down to check on utilization. Finally, one day the crew including the boss had to make a run off the working landing to the old landing and the chaser was told to clean up his toilet habits.

It all degrades quickly in the temperate rain forest.

Needless to say, it is not as disgusting as some of the popular hiking areas I've been in.

watch out for slippery timber....
south park diarrhea GIF

Not too far off the mark. Always check the other side of the tree when bucking a tree out of a road. It's usually the first tree you come to.
When I cut stuff off of bike trails I usually cut a detour because the trees are usualy too tensioned to do anything more safely. And even when the county comes and gets it they use winches and pole saws.

Do they have a porta potty or a camping toilet inside of the crummy, or do you guys just go in a hole the woods?
I've worked with one crew that kept a porta potty on site, other wise find a conveinent tree/boulder/tire to lean/hide behind and try not to poo on your pants and boots, generally I will hold it unless dire conditions cause pooping in the woods is a horrible experience, and trying not to hit innocent clothing in the process is... difficult...
When I cut stuff off of bike trails I usually cut a detour because the trees are usualy too tensioned to do anything more safely. And even when the county comes and gets it they use winches and pole saws.
tension can be dealt with, with forethought, but I would also encourage you to leave it alone and not even cut detours if it makes you nervous, detours are great, but they cause more erosion then necessary and encourage folks to wander off trail, which is what gets most trails shut down

I've worked with one crew that kept a porta potty on site, other wise find a conveinent tree/boulder/tire to lean/hide behind and try not to poo on your pants and boots, generally I will hold it unless dire conditions cause pooping in the woods is a horrible experience, and trying not to hit innocent clothing in the process is... difficult...

tension can be dealt with, with forethought, but I would also encourage you to leave it alone and not even cut detours if it makes you nervous, detours are great, but they cause more erosion then necessary and encourage folks to wander off trail, which is what gets most trails shut down
You can't wander much because there is already a section on the side from where they overcut the trail.

I mainly did it because my pregnant neighbor and her husband had to lift her stroller and Great Dane over this big tree. I was also getting weird looks for cutting in boots, chainsaw socks, swim trunks, chaps, and a helmet. Also probably because I am a 14-year-old running an MS 261 C-M.
20230724_182448 (2).jpg

An old classic among backpackers...
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...*-in-the-woods-4th-edition-by-kathleen-meyer/

How the PaintBall sport was invented. True story!! :) Sven and Ole were out with their Nelspot tree marking pistols, working a cut. Sven just had to go, so he squatted down........... Ole saw those white cheeks and couldn't help himself.............SPLAT!!!........ thus was the paintball game invented!!!

You can't wander much because there is already a section on the side from where they overcut the trail.

I mainly did it because my pregnant neighbor and her husband had to lift her stroller and Great Dane over this big tree. I was also getting weird looks for cutting in boots, chainsaw socks, swim trunks, chaps, and a helmet. Also probably because I am a 14-year-old running an MS 261 C-M.
View attachment 1101136
Here is a link to a good training manual. It is for crosscut saws but the discussion and lessons about tensions and such are the same for any saw. You are already ahead of the game if you are NOT bucking trees that you feel uncomfortable about. Remember, you are a volunteer and do not have to do anything.

Here's the link. https://www.fs.usda.gov/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm04232822/toc.htm

Dyslexics like me say "also" instead, when I can't remember the difference between either to or too. This is if I question myself. Many times I don't think about it and get it wrong or confident that I'm right.
My mother was a proofreader. I also worked for an English major who went to the dark side--forestry and would hand back reports with corrections denoted in red pencil.

I do find it depressing to be on facebook and constantly see the troubles with words that should have been emphasized in school. There, their, they're, to, two, too, etc. And don't get me started on "Lightening" (Lightning). Ugh! Bring back the red pencils!

Public service announcement over.

Back