Odd sales call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another question to ask: If you were there at the designated time that you AND the customer set, why were they out running an errand? And why was another contractor there? Maybe he just showed up there and maybe not. Seems like the client was a bit rude as well by being gone at the time, and possibly scheduling another meeting at the same time. I tend to want to stay away from customers like that.

:agree2: it's seems the customer called and told everyone to show up at the same time, like your supposed to get there take a number and wait your turn. "Next Please!" that is so annoying, you can bet that someone like that doesn't care about customer service and doing a good job. It's all about the price. I'll walk away from jobs like that anymore. Its like a pack of hungry dogs begging for a piece of meat.

The time to meet was sort of open after 10 no later than 11, so that may have been the case. She said she only called 3 companies so I am sure price was something they were concerned about but I did not get the feeling that that was the only concern. The customer that called me around 8 months ago who had called 10 other companies they were price shopping. I have seen other companies at job bids but we give each other space nod our heads at one another and go about our own business. The other guy was very friendly in the way the snake in Geneses was friendly . I think that him doing what he did was some devious attempt to get the job . I can sympathize, with the Mercedes note to pay and all I would probably be a little more aggressive as well.​

You never know it could of been an inside job, she might of known mercedes. Maybe he showed up to see how you handle it and to get an idea on how you bid jobs. I've had one or two like that that I swear were just set ups.

I had the same thing happen to me 5 years ago. Ended up with me not giving a price and letting the other guy have the job as it was just a hedge that needed cutting. Now that other guy gives me all his difficult trees :clap:

If it had happened today, i'd probably talk with the other guy before the homeowner came and we would decide that one of us would price it high, and the other extremly high. That way one of us would most likely end up with a well paid job and the other with a treeguy that ows you a favour. A win/win situation!

It seams that, lately, I keep showing up to bid jobs at the same time as one of our other tree services - strange how it's always him and not the others. Anyhow, I always give him his space and he gives me mine. We're cordial and sometimes make small talk but we're professional towards each other and towards the client in that we don't try to 'double' up on the conversation. To me, that's unprofessional and I would be upset at both the customer and other gentleman for trying to make this other than a one-on-one meeting.

I know I'm not the lowest price in the area so, when I see other tree services showing up that I know from experience are going to offer a lower price to the client, I usually get in and out of there pretty quickly. In this case, I probably would have asked straight out what the customer was looking for - best price or best service. Body language says a lot. If I get bad vibes, I'm outa there. If the client seems receptive to my sales pitch, I'll stick it out and try to persuade them my direction with a brochure, history of my experience, etc.

I'm lucky that, in my area, I pretty much know the other tree services and what their reputations are. If I'm bidding against someone who I don't think I have a good chance of beating, I'll just slip out quickly and let it go at that. If I think the other guy is a hack who can't handle the job the way the customer wants it done, I'll tactfully explain why I can do it better.

Tough situation to know how to handle correctly. Tact and professionalism, in any situation, is usually the best way to proceed. No need to storm off or blow up at the customer or the other tree guy. I think you handled it ok but, like others said, I would not have handed an open bid form to the client before leaving. I would have either mailed it to her or told her I would call or stop back later when the other guy was gone. You just set him up to lowball you if he's that kind of guy and if the customer is that kind of customer who would ask him to do so.

I have had a few situations like that....I usually let the other guy go first or I look at the job and mail them an estimate.

I never ask for the other guys price and then try to beat it.

Just got off of phone with the customer. I got the job. She said my price was higher but she liked how courteous I was and would like to have me do the work. As far as the other guy goes she told me that after I left he tried to work out a deal to remove another tree on the neighbors property and only offered a 25.00 dollar discount. So I guess the other guy was one of the good guys and didn't do any throat cutting or trash talking. Figured I would let you know how it turned out. Looks like the starving time is coming to an end .​

I hate those timed bids I have been on them with five services there and three circling the block like buzzards. I once told a lady my estimates are free but waiting to give an estimate is one hundred per hour 2 hour minimum. She looked at me odd then I told her I will likely be the higher priced here so wasting time needs covered.We have too many tree services:rolleyes:

Its been glacier slow for me since Thanksgiving which is the usual this time of year. Well yesterday I get some calls and am fairly excited, Go to one job and get it, Great. Then I go to the next at the designated time to meet with the customer about a backyard pine that needs to be removed for an addition. I knock on the door and am told that the customer went on an errand and will be back in a few minutes. So I look at the tree and write up the proposal and wait on the customer. I sell better face to face and had nothing better to do so no worries. While I am waiting this guy pulls up in a really nice Mercedes So I think great Homeowner is here. That was not the case, It was another tree company. The guy gets out and asks who I am , I tell him and we make small talk. The usual you know , how much work, Insurance prices all that. When the customer arrives we both approach and introduce ourselves. Well I am completely thrown off here didn't really know how to handle the situation so I just hand over my proposal and ask the customer for her Info so I can get my Insurance info to her. I explain how I will remove the tree and let her know about how long it will take. The other guy is standing there talking shop with me while I am trying to focus on the customer I am able to partly ignore him but not completely and he would interrupt the customer sometimes with talk of other jobs. So I feel that I could do all I could do and decided it was time to leave, I thank the customer for considering me and shake the other guys hand then he follows me to my truck to offer up his equipment if I come across any jobs that he might be needed on. I say that if there is something that comes up I would give him a call and again say goodbye. I leave and he walks back over to the customer and begins talking. opinions on how to handle this if it happens again, I probably will not get the job because the other guy saw my price and It is beatable. I figure my price is my price and try to sell myself as being worth that.​

nova fer ya

think about this.
you can buy a clean, decent Benz for $10,000. A big 1 ton 4WD pickup with all the bells and whistles is $50,000+

I sell work right now out of a older Malibu, and sell AFFORDABLE work. in this economy, in middle class 'hoods that works very well.

In upper class McMansion-ville, image matters, unless we luck out and get a cheapskate.

I always tell the HO let me bid last, and never ever leave written estimates. I make em beg for one, and negotiate my pricing anyway, "what do think is fair?"
and then offer them options to get the price in their ballpark. works very well too. I might not get rich, but I'm working.
In good weather and a good economy, NO DEALS though.:cheers:

think about this.
you can buy a clean, decent Benz for $10,000. A big 1 ton 4WD pickup with all the bells and whistles is $50,000+

I sell work right now out of a older Malibu, and sell AFFORDABLE work. in this economy, in middle class 'hoods that works very well.

In upper class McMansion-ville, image matters, unless we luck out and get a cheapskate.

I always tell the HO let me bid last, and never ever leave written estimates. I make em beg for one, and negotiate my pricing anyway, "what do think is fair?"
and then offer them options to get the price in their ballpark. works very well too. I might not get rich, but I'm working.
In good weather and a good economy, NO DEALS though.:cheers:

Very true.

There are 36 tree services listed in our local directory. That is not counting door knockers . Begging for an estimate is not something the customer has to do here. We had a major storm here a few years back(Katrina) and it turned the industry on its ear. It is slowly getting back to normal. I heard about one tree guy this last week that blew his head off, they say it was over being so behind on bills, I am sure that was not all there was to it but I bet it played a role in it. I agree with you on the benz. I drive a half ton white chevy to do bid work in. Some customers do hire the vehicle over the man.​

There are 36 tree services listed in our local directory. That is not counting door knockers . Begging for an estimate is not something the customer has to do here. We had a major storm here a few years back(Katrina) and it turned the industry on its ear. It is slowly getting back to normal. I heard about one tree guy this last week that blew his head off, they say it was over being so behind on bills, I am sure that was not all there was to it but I bet it played a role in it. I agree with you on the benz. I drive a half ton white chevy to do bid work in. Some customers do hire the vehicle over the man.​

Isabel filled the Wmsbg area with tree companies, one major reason why I travel. The nature of a free economy is the very demise of most who try to be in business, I have seen a LOT of guys go under, overextending in good times, and starving in slow times. In this economy? you can't eat a 2nd bobcat or any other new equipment. sucks about the suicide.

Oh yeah, and I meant beg ME for a written estimate. ;) I get a call, I'm calling the same day, there the next if not sooner. I bid EVERY job like I ain't got one. written estimates just lock prices down too much for me.

In storm work, its fun to collect em, they are everywhere. blowing down the street, stuck all over houses, cars, mailboxes, nailed to trees, etc.......

I had the same thing happen to me 5 years ago. Ended up with me not giving a price and letting the other guy have the job as it was just a hedge that needed cutting. Now that other guy gives me all his difficult trees :clap:

If it had happened today, i'd probably talk with the other guy before the homeowner came and we would decide that one of us would price it high, and the other extremly high. That way one of us would most likely end up with a well paid job and the other with a treeguy that ows you a favour. A win/win situation!

Hmmm....sounds lite that is on the darker side of ethical, in some places it is illegal. I wouldn't appreciate a contractor doing that to me - I'd encourage you to think about that idea a while before doing it.

Hmmm....sounds lite that is on the darker side of ethical, in some places it is illegal. I wouldn't appreciate a contractor doing that to me - I'd encourage you to think about that idea a while before doing it.

Called price fixing. Federal offense. The ethical or unethical debate aside, it's illegal and, in today's poor economy, taking advantage of 'Joe Homeowner' is not going to be well-received by any jury if you get caught and prosecuted. I sure wouldn't be suggesting on a public forum that that's how I'd conduct my business! :dizzy:

Called price fixing. Federal offense. The ethical or unethical debate aside, it's illegal and, in today's poor economy, taking advantage of 'Joe Homeowner' is not going to be well-received by any jury if you get caught and prosecuted. I sure wouldn't be suggesting on a public forum that that's how I'd conduct my business! :dizzy:

I was trying to be diplomatic, you articulated the issue more clearly.

Back