OEM 7-10...A blue McCulloch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gearhead1

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Ever since I hired into a McCulloch dealer in the early 90's (several years and a few jobs ago), I have been intrigued to learn "the rest of the story" concerning one model designation. If you have access to the PUBS Guide (mine is 1993 version, #223586-03), under the chainsaw section it lists an OEM 7-10 yellow and a OEM 7-10 blue, both sharing the model number 400261. Also in this guide are listed the OEM 795 (model #400175, 400176) and the OEM Mac 10-10 (model #400262). Now my questions are thus: 1. What do the letters "OEM" stand for? 2. Why are these model numbers started with a 4 instead of the 6 used for other McCulloch gasoline chainsaw models? 3. What does the word "blue" indicate in the model OEM 7-10 blue; Was it actually painted blue instead of yellow? I'm looking forward to hearing from any of you that can offer explanations. :Eye:

Gearhead1

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Found the answer to my own question!

Today I was talking to a long time McCulloch dealer and found out the details on the color question. I discovered that the OEM 7-10 is same as the 7-10 power unit, as they share the same model number in the IPL. The dealer told me that over the years (and different models) McCulloch had actually produced power units in colors such as green, red, blue, and other hues than the traditional yellow. I'm guessing they were painted to whatever shade the accessory companies specified to match their equipment lines. The dealer told me he has seen some parts come through the system in these other colors as well, though they were a rarely seen. Have any of you collectors seen McCullochs painted up like this and used on outside vendor machinery?

ozflea

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1
I would imagine that the colours were applied to suit different manufacturers who offered different attachments like cutoff saws and earth augers etc. Where Mc only supplied the powerhead.

And the OEM as MR said.