OEM pistons are the best? - Not so much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so many variables that can cause premature failure of a saw.
For you to say aftermarket is better then OEM, is just non sense.
I bet if you took 2 brand new saws....
1 that was new & oem. And 1 new oem saw with an aftermarket top end kit.
Then bench tested them both in the same conditions... I would be willing to guarantee that the oem saw lasts longer.
Manufacturers do hundreds of hours of R&D on their products. I highly doubt the cheap Chinese parts have any R&D in them.

Then bench tested them both in the same conditions... I would be willing to guarantee that the oem saw lasts longer.
Manufacturers do hundreds of hours of R&D on their products. I highly doubt the cheap Chinese parts have any R&D in them.

Meteor is neither Chinese or cheap...just saying..
Many other AM jugs are though

I ain't so sure Meteor isnt Chinese now? Where do they claim to be made Italy or Taiwan? You sure they aint China crap nowadays?
I read somewhere that Meteor had shifted production to the far east. Not sure if that ment Taiwan or China. Regardless Italian made stuff doesn't have an exactly sterling rep for quality in industry.

Keep in mind the saw in question is likely over 25 years old.

I read somewhere that Meteor had shifted production to the far east. Not sure if that ment Taiwan or China. Regardless Italian made stuff doesn't have an exactly sterling rep for quality in industry.
They're gonna have to update their website soon then....because it says so literally in the second paragraph of their bio.
Just sayin

Mahle has plants all over the world, but typicaly the plant the country is in supplies that country. I would think the ones found in saws made in Europe come from Germany.

Including 8 plants in china which I assume most of the stuff is produced. I wonder if stihl would tell us where they are made or if they would even know. Or maybe Mahle would know where they made there stihl parts.

Added: I emailed Mahle I'll let you guys know if they get back to me.

Including 8 plants in china which I assume most of the stuff is produced. I wonder if stihl would tell us where they are made or if they would even know. Or maybe Mahle would know where they made there stihl parts.

Added: I emailed Mahle I'll let you guys know if they get back to mMAe.
Mahle has several plants in the US as well that service the US auto industry.
I don't believe neither Stihl or Mahle wpuld provide that info.
Either way Mahle has very good reputation and Meteor is a small Italian company. I know which I would pick.

Either way Mahle has very good reputation and Meteor is a small Italian company. I know which I would pick.
I'm not debating quality just wondering where they are made.

Well mahle did get back to me and fast. Here's what they had to say. I started a new thread about this

Dear Mr. Thompson,

We do not make pistons for the Stihl company ( haven't for many years), you should contact the company directly with your question.

[email protected]

Thank you

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,
Susanne Ortlieb - Kokkinidis
Info
MAHLE International GmbH

Pragstr. 26 - 46, 70376 Stuttgart, Germany
Phone: +49 711 501-0
[email protected], https://www.mahle.com

Well mahle did get back to me and fast. Here's what they had to say. I started a new thread about this

Dear Mr. Thompson,

We do not make pistons for the Stihl company ( haven't for many years), you should contact the company directly with your question.

[email protected]

Thank you

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,
Susanne Ortlieb - Kokkinidis
Info
MAHLE International GmbH

Pragstr. 26 - 46, 70376 Stuttgart, Germany
Phone: +49 711 501-0
[email protected], https://www.mahle.com
Interesting. I know some years ago Stihl moved some of their cylinder and piston production in house. Maybe it's all in house now?

Back