Off Topic --100 Things every man needs in his garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thorough tap/die set, fine/course, metric/standard.

A small light that attaches to your ball cap. Also good for pickin nightcrawlers.

Lights, and more lights.

Heat for winter. Fan or even window A/C for summer.

Creeper or at least a piece of thick cardboard or carpet for sliding under the vehicle.

Pig mats, oil sorb, sawdust in a lidded bucket.

Coffee pot and Alka Seltzer/bottle of aspirin on top of the beer fridge.

Goop or other waterless handcleaner, container of babywipes.

Rodent boxes with poison blocks. Nothing worse than a new pair of gloves containing a nest.

220v ac and 110vac receptacles throughout the garage.

Antifatigue workmat to stand on. He's young now, but it'll payoff when he's older. Piece of cardboard or foamback carpet can help too.

Vernier gauge, depth gauge, caliper gauge.

Library of repair manuals; vehicles, marine, two cycle, four cycle, small engine, etc....

Comfortable seating for deep thinking

:Last time the neighbour's wife was giving me the evil eye also....I had not seen her sitting on the porch enjoying a sunbath:blush::blush:

Ah, soaking up the golden rays. At least she wasn't soaking up your golden shower!!

Yeah thats a great feeling. I'm only 32 and have the tools of 3 men.

Which three? Somebody walked off with my pressure washer a few years ago - was it you???

Comfortable seating for deep thinking

I'm not sure most of us know what that is....:laugh:

Let me add one of my favorite's, a good Ironworker with a notcher is a must in my shop. Ok, that is a little extravagant for the home garage, but I love having one.
I will also agree that a small metal lathe is a must have.

MO-Iron

Nice list guys, did anybody mention the honored bridgeport mill?

If you can find one... It has been on my list for a few years now... Thinking of getting one from Grizzly instead of trying to find the elusive bridgeport.

Thought I had one 2 years ago from CL. It looked great, price was $700 with some assesories. The guy forgot to mention until after I looked at it and said I would take it that he was having an auction for it the following Sat. "Bidding starts at $700" he told me. I was not impressed. :censored::buttkick:

So another tidbit to pass onto your boy, learn that it takes all kinds of people, idiots included, to run this world. Learning to have Patience when forced to deal with said idiots will take him far.

Wow, you have beaten all of us.... that sounds like heaven for a gearhead like me. I just missed the dancing pole, LOLOL.

I gotta talk to my wife while I need to make a new investment in da garage :laugh:

haha!! im 27 w/ no kids. im sure my party pad and tool collection will change/slow down when kids come along. but until then, PARTY ON!!!

Take him to an estate auction with tools and get him started cheap with a toolbox and some wrenches of his own. It will teach him the value of a dollar and finding a bargain along with getting him started.Take a Craftsman catalog with you to the auction so you know what a deal is.

I'm 40 and have every tool under the sun and every time i open either my tool chest or rolling shop I get that shiver and pride feeling of what I've built up over the years. Quality tools from auctions and close out sales ON THE CHEAP. And a great sense of pride by being able to fix anything.

EXACTLY!!! I went to an farmers auction back in 07'. I went there with a 100 dollar bill. When I left there I couldnt have fit a tooth pick in the back of my truck. bought everything from hardware to tools.

I really dont see the need to buy new handtools, esp craftsman. I guess If i made my living with them it would be different... 80% of my tools are second hand. they workgreat and are taken care of so....

I get the same shiver too!!! my late father was a farmer and I know he would be proud to see how his chicken farm has evolved through my sweat, time and money over the years...

Last edited:
my take on it all (didn't read all the responses so far)
- HEAT
- Radio
- Running water
- Electricity
- Plenty of room (good luck with that one)
- As tall of ceilings as you can afford
- The biggest doors you can afford
- Old tin/ rusted signs
- Plenty of lighting (the fewer the shadows the better IMO)
- Compressed Air (jacks around perimeter preferred)
- Yes to the scantily clad chick calendar
- Place for the dog next to the heat source
- Place for kiddos tools cause you know he/ she/ they look up to ya and want to mimic you

That's what comes to mind

As one of the expensive items is a big tool chest with lots of drawers I figure that if he gets one of those the tools that fill it come as if by magic.

The odd tool doesn't cost much and you can get one when you need that tool but a tool chest is a big purchase and takes a bit of saving up for, well it did for me anyway.

Oh and if you can get a tool that used to be his grandfathers then do so, its nice having lots of new tools but its nicer to have something your grandfather used for years and still works a treat.

EXACTLY!!! I went to an farmers auction back in 07'. I went there with a 100 dollar bill. When I left there I couldnt have fit a tooth pick in the back of my truck. bought everything from hardware to tools.

I really dont see the need to buy new handtools, esp craftsman. I guess If i made my living with them it would be different... 80% of my tools are second hand. they workgreat and are taken care of so....

I get the same shiver too!!! my late father was a farmer and I know he would be proud to see how his chicken farm has evolved through my sweat, time and money over the years...

Nothing like comin' home with a truckload of "dollar box lots" or a tool chest stuffed for $20 is there!

Coe rocks!

room

More room is a pipe dream. You'd just pack more crap in it and still have no space to work.

Water/sink (said before)
Water Heater
Presure Washer
Few Chamois
Drain in Floor
Large floor Squigee
Scoop Shovel
Large tin dust pan

No, i dont wash cars in my garage...but i do park in my (heated) garage in the winter and the winter snow/road crud sucks to clean up. But i squigee it all to the drain and let the snow all melt then scoop (oh yeah, added to list) it up.

1. pair worn panties that smell like your old girlfriend.

Latest posts

Back