Oh boy...so here we go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as stated take the carb off. its the only way to do it right. wont take much more time than trying to fiddle with it on. also as far as buying carb kits from dealers;several are now carrying the large boxes of individual parts,not the whole kits.costs about the same but you dont end up with all the extra universal parts.

I go the saw going good now

Carb rebuild and fuel lines and new filter. She runs like a beauty. Was cutting big elm using the full-bar 33" (dogs still on) into some elm and she ran sooo purdy.

I just hope I can avoid living to far on the edge. That mentality got me my first ever 'rocked' chain. DAMNNN that SH*T ISN'T WORTH IT! Never again am I going to cut close to the ground like that on the 33" bar. Chain that was cutting really good is soooo screwed now. 14 passes with the file, and all the rock-ness still hasn't been removed. I probably have another 14 passes to go on each tooth, plus raker adjustment. All for 1 more inch of wood??? NOT WORTH IT.

Now, the 42" bar is at the shop getting dressed, and I have a brand new loop for it ready to go when I get it back tomorrow!

First full milling session is tentative for wednesday catch the milling thread and stay tuned. Wish me luck!
Ian

Good job. I have quite a few large logs to mill myself and my milling saw is my 394. I use a 36" bar with a 30" Granberg mill. I picked up a milling chain and it has worked out really well. It's been nothing but rain, rain, rain for several days in a row here in NY and it looks like we will be in this weather pattern through the 4th of July weekend. Will you post in the Milling and Sawmills forum or this forum?

42 inches is a bit much for a 394?

Yep. 30" is max on that saw. 3120 can usually pull a 36". Anything over 40" needs at least a 250cc bike saw.

Really though, I run a 20" in my 272, a 24" or 28" on the 288, and 28" or 30" on my 394. All with 7 pin rim (sprocket). In soft wood maybe longer bars would be a better match.

Last edited:
I looked it up, and th emax cutting length

Max cutting length for the 394xp in the manual is 35". I think with a 36" mill on a 42" bar running full-skip .404 chain I am good. Just my two cents, I can barely bog this saw down in the cut, and that was with a full 33" bar buried in the elm.

So far, I love the full-chisel chain, and haven't experienced any kick-back (yet). Milling post tommorrow or over the weekend. Thread can be found here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/238466.htm#post4373204

I have never owned a 394 but it seems pretty similar to me 2095 and 30" is far from max bar on that saw. I feel real confident in running a 36" on it and imagine it would pull a longer bar just fine. Milling is a different thing, but if you a talking about felling felling and bucking, 30" on a 394 and 36" on a 3120 is pretty conservative.

I've used a 32" Stihl bar on my 394 for felling and bucking. Not even a challenge for it, pulled strong even when completely buried in a big Ash stump.

If you haven't done it, buy the bar adapter from Bailey's that allows use of a Stihl bar on a Husky saw. You have to elongate/file the bar slot towards the roller tip end of the bar but it gives you the option of using any Stihl bars you may have kicking around. I get great service life out of the Stihl ES bars.

Back