Oh crap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regrettably, cottonwood might just be the most worthless wood out there. If anyone thinks of a use for it, I'm all ears..we've got a ton of that stuff..

It is cut here for pallets. It is also ground for pulp here. Over the last 100 years ther were many barns here that were built with Cottonwood on the inside. On the outside is rots away. We still have a large plile of 20 ft 2x8's that were cut in 1994. They are still on the stickers.

Bill

doesn't it burn? why is it so undesireable?

It heavier than water when green (sinks..) and so light when dry that it has very low BTU per pound..... Burns real fast, leaves ton of ash.

It's hard to dry in the PNW (when stacked) without rotting first.

On my list it's right up there with Chinese pistons:chainsaw:

attachment.php

:monkey: Gee, Andy, none of the rest of us ever have problems like that.;)

Regrettably, cottonwood might just be the most worthless wood out there. If anyone thinks of a use for it, I'm all ears..we've got a ton of that stuff.

Andy, it sounds like a harrowing day. Good story, though.

Cottonwood didn't used to be useless...Back home in Montana (in my younger days) they used cottonwood for bridge decking. If you think about it it doesn't splinter and and check like some of the other native wood. Really quite durable. I also saw it used in bars and restaurants as flooring. You know the type of joint where you throw the peanut shells on the floor and spill pitchers of red beer then sweep it once a day. Firewood it isn't. Burns fast and creates a lot of ash without a lot of BTUs.

...Carl

Cottonwood didn't used to be useless...Back home in Montana (in my younger days) they used cottonwood for bridge decking. If you think about it it doesn't splinter and and check like some of the other native wood. Really quite durable. I also saw it used in bars and restaurants as flooring. You know the type of joint where you throw the peanut shells on the floor and spill pitchers of red beer then sweep it once a day. Firewood it isn't. Burns fast and creates a lot of ash without a lot of BTUs.

...Carl

Yes.. and it was also used for the floors of barns - resists animal urine...

B*tch of day - you got a lot done-good efort

Carp... Ropens right on...

Second tree of the day.... 120 foot twisted and leaning cottonwood.. POS.. I hate those frigg'in trees...

In the back cut and the damn tree rotated back over center way before I was even close to a hinge and jambed the saw. Now it's heading the wrong way....

Second saw to cut it out... tree hangs up and stays on the stump. Lots of screwing around which resulted in the tree sliding off the stump

Then followed 8 more cuts to get the tree 40 feet shorter (I hate doing that with heavy trees) and standing somewhat upright. My confidence was shot. Took a break..

Sounds like a big day......tell me you used a crane, for 8 cut hanger off the stump...??? LIKE A ##### !!

Wish they would start a cotton wood eradication program like they have with Scotch broom down on the Nisqualy and Cowlitz prairie . Wood stinks, like Andy said out here by the time it dries its almost ashes already, drops huge branches windy or not even the fallen leaves stink. Splitten its like tryin to split a wet sponge.Spray em all with round up. They do make shade for the salmon along the rivers but any number of other trees could do that.

Some say it's phenomenal trailer decking wood... I know a couple local fellas use the bark to carve mountain men faces, etc.

Latest posts

Back