Oh crap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Hmmm, and we're complaining because it suddenly went to 27F (just the frost, back to 45 by noon)... two days in a row! Real early for here, and so suddden! Nice though... sunny days.. but back to rain tommorw and for the next week.

I lived in Montana .. now that's a cold place... -40 (C or F - doesn't really matter) is a problem for everthing..,

Sort of off topic, but when and where did you live in Montana Andy?

Now on topic: When I have a 'hanger', I back bar from under the lean... I've never tried that salami slice technique.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Missed him... just.... Note the discarded husky... ;)
attachment.php

Roder takes a short break to contemplate... Crap happens to the best now and then...

attachment.php

Lake I'll have you know I just came back from kissing my 20t winch
I remembered why I likes it so much!

RPM

ArboristSite Operative
Sort of off topic, but when and where did you live in Montana Andy?

Now on topic: When I have a 'hanger', I back bar from under the lean... I've never tried that salami slice technique.

+1....I put a relief cut on the top and take 90% from underneath. Tree opens up and falls in front of you rather than the tree sliding over the top and on to you....and your saw falls free.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
+1....I put a relief cut on the top and take 90% from underneath. Tree opens up and falls in front of you rather than the tree sliding over the top and on to you....and your saw falls free.

That pretty much what I did.. I think... and although it doesn't show it, Rb's is similar. The "bad" situation was not how the other cuts happened.. was more a result of having to fuss with it. I'll let him explain - he has a zillion more trees experience than me. I believe this tree was also being pulled with a GRCS.... to stop it going over the fence and to help it stand up. The original thread has more info, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw

Yup, exactly. I find it to be a 'safer', more predictable technique... You just have to have all your senses at 150%, just in case the tree does something you didn't calculate for. Let's say the tree is sitting 30* off vertical... You make your cut 30* off horizontal--the tree kicks off the butt, in the direction of the lean... Now your tree is sitting at, lets say, 10* off vertical (or it broke loose and finished falling). I don't think you can achieve this with an angle near 90* in relation to the tree.

backbarleaner.jpg

RPM

ArboristSite Operative
That pretty much what I did.. I think... and although it doesn't show it, Rb's is similar. The "bad" situation was not how the other cuts happened.. was more a result of having to fuss with it. I'll let him explain - he has a zillion more trees experience than me. I believe this tree was also being pulled with a GRCS.... to stop it going over the fence and to help it stand up. The original thread has more info, but I can't find it.

I know...we only see one angle from the pictures and a slice in time from it. Hey...whatever doesn't kill you (and so long as you learn from it) just makes you smarter (and quicker) next time. :cheers:

RPM

ArboristSite Operative
Yup, exactly. I find it to be a 'safer', more predictable technique... You just have to have all your senses at 150%, just in case the tree does something you didn't calculate for. Let's say the tree is sitting 30* off vertical... You make your cut 30* off horizontal--the tree kicks off the butt, in the direction of the lean... Now your tree is sitting at, lets say, 10* off vertical (or it broke loose and finished falling). I don't think you can achieve this with an angle near 90* in relation to the tree.

backbarleaner.jpg

Nice diagram...wish I were as computer savy! :cheers:

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
In my case they get more angled 'cos I can't reach high enough to made a nice 90 ;)

The 90 technique assumes your lower portion isn't "replanted" and fixed in place by the weight of the tree -that happens a lot (several feet into the ground), and in the RB example, that's why you have that row of Easter Island sentinals... No way would that tree have released at a 90. This tree started as a blow-over leaner with a big root ball.

attachment.php

Here's another view of the cuts that almost got him. Note the nice 90... The tree look vertical, but it has a decent lean away from him.

attachment.php

Rodger will be along later... I just helped him load (I'm the grunt pulling chains) a logging truck; he's now off to another location for more logs.

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
If I remember right (so many trees ago), it was expected to let go with the horizontal cut, but it didn't, so then the slash cut and wedge to stabilize it while cutting.

7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Bozeman... 1981 to 1989. Chased a woman there, caught her..:cheers:

So your wife's a Montuckian!? Cool! :cheers:

Still a bit off topic -

So there's a few of us here. I was born and raised in the flatlands (Sidney) but call Star Meadows near Whitefish home even though I live and work in the Washington, DC area now. Will retire soon back in the Last Best Place!

...Carl

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
If I remember right (so many trees ago), it was expected to let go with the horizontal cut, but it didn't, so then the slash cut and wedge to stabilize it while cutting.

Each situation is different, and presents it's own set of techniques to get what you want out of it.

Anyway you slice it (pun intended ;)) leaner's are best avoided if at all possible.

Latest posts