OH Sandy (storm chasers update)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never done hurricane work and was contacted by a tree co out there. They are looking for subcontractors to help with the clean up. I was thinking of going out but wouldn't be ready till later next week. Then I don't know if I could make it out there it would depend on if there was power to so I could buy diesel along the way. But maybe we will just get work from it here. That would be more convenient.

Who's they? The power company's?

No, North Eastern Tree Service in Rhode Island. They said they contacted about 500 tree services to see if they could come help them with there contracts they have in Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

Saw a few dozen buckets and other tree trucks headed North when I was coming down Rt81 in WV yesterday. They must know something?

It's been windy since about 4 am here , it's just kinda grey and calm now but colder for sure , I went and filled the chip truck and chipper , filled the bucket the bobcat and the other chipper yesterday , 400.00 bucks so far in fuel alone , and the price jumped 25. Cents since Friday , man they are just pure ####ing scumbags , betcha it will be almost 4$ by weds again

Saw some guys taking out a dead oak this morning at 7am , they were down to wood , so they either started at 530am or did the top last night either way I was pretty Impressed to see how people wait til the absolute last minute to take care of things

It's not that I don't like outta towners , but we have so many guys here already I just believe it would be a waste of time ! I mean landscapers are even sawing up trees for sure , I saw all the chippers are reserved for rent everywhere and other then saw parts and the models that suck there is slim pickings , I was smart enough to grab another 338 the other day so I am good for now

No, North Eastern Tree Service in Rhode Island. They said they contacted about 500 tree services to see if they could come help them with there contracts they have in Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

be very cautious of anyone who throws around numbers like that. I have never heard of, or seen North Eastern, that doesn’t really mean much, they could be totally legit but...think about it, how long would it take to contact 500 tree services? even if you only spent 10 mins researching and contacting each one it would take over 80 man hours. In my dealings with very large companies, they kind that could actually hire that many companies, they hardly ever contact anywhere near that many companies. Before you make the choice to travel to a storm for anyone make sure you pay very close attention to the details, if they throw out any numbers that don’t make sense, no matter how insignificant the detail might seem its a good indication of how they will handle more important details, like how much work there is and what your going to get paid. Just my 2 cents.

be very cautious of anyone who throws around numbers like that. I have never heard of, or seen North Eastern, that doesn’t really mean much, they could be totally legit but...think about it, how long would it take to contact 500 tree services? even if you only spent 10 mins researching and contacting each one it would take over 80 man hours. In my dealings with very large companies, they kind that could actually hire that many companies, they hardly ever contact anywhere near that many companies. Before you make the choice to travel to a storm for anyone make sure you pay very close attention to the details, if they throw out any numbers that don’t make sense, no matter how insignificant the detail might seem its a good indication of how they will handle more important details, like how much work there is and what your going to get paid. Just my 2 cents.

Man your a buzzkill

Good points Marquis, also how the heck are you supposed direct and look after that many co's? Where would they all sleep? Eddies house? :laugh:Let alone paying all them afterwards!

Last edited:
The companies that are traveling for storm work, what do you tell your existing clients? "Sorry Mr. Smith, I know you have been waiting for tree work for 3 weeks, but we have a case of gold fever and will get back to you in a month." Sounds like a bad long term business plan.

Last edited:
The companies that are traveling for storm work, what do you tell your existing clients? "Sorry Mr. Smith, I know you have been waiting for tree work for 3 weeks, but we have a case of gold fever and will get back to you in a month." Sounds like a bad long term business plan.

They tell them what they want, what do you care? If they wanna chase 'em, that is their biz, who are you to knock it?
Jeff

They tell them what they want, what do you care? If they wanna chase 'em, that is their biz, who are you to knock it?
Jeff

I think a semicolon instead of a comma shoulda got put between "want" and "what". And mebbe between "biz" and "who" too.

I have done it a lot. Once the insurance guy who gives me all the work calls, we finish what we are doing, then I go do a size up etc... see what we need. Most customers understand and 70% of my income is from insurance work. I only do residential stuff to fill in between everything else. Most I have ever been away is a week. I don't storm chase though. Everything I do is through insurance

Most outfits are backlogged 3-4 weeks. Just didn't understand the short term gain at the expense of long term loyal clients. Jeff, this was more a question for owners not employees.

Most outfits are backlogged 3-4 weeks. Just didn't understand the short term gain at the expense of long term loyal clients. Jeff, this was more a question for owners not employees.

Believe me they will understand. I put it this way to them, what if the tree was on your house/car/pool/boat house/whatever? I have never had any negative feedback doing this. I also usually discount my original price a bit to make them happy. Storm work is great $

Back