Oil for Splitter: ATF or Hydraulic....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey Folks: Was just wondering what a guy should use in new splitter for oil? I here some use ATF, some use hydraulic. What's the better of the two, and why? Just curious, we electricians kinda dense sometimes......:rockn:

Hey Folks: Was just wondering what a guy should use in new splitter for oil? I here some use ATF, some use hydraulic. What's the better of the two, and why? Just curious, we electricians kinda dense sometimes......:rockn:
I have a Swisher and the instructions said to use ATF.

ATF is pretty good, easy to get, has good viscosity properties across wide temp range.Resists high temps well. I have used it in some big hydrostatic systems. Doesn't have quite the additive packages for antiwear, and a bit thinner than I feel comfortable with. Gear pumps are not as efficient as piston pumps and have differnt viscosity and antiwear needs.

PErsonally, in Miinesota I'd use ISO 46 grade antiwear hydraulic fluid. Shell Tellus, Mobile DTE 15M series, Amoco/BP/Rykon 46 MV. Any quality fluid with ISO 46 viscosity grade. Roughly a low 20wt SAE.
That works well at fall and winter temps (using a magnet heater on tank and suction line in cold temps anyway) yet is ok in summer. ATF in summer, ideally want to be under 125F or so to keep the viscosity up.

Someone down south, where machine never sees freezing, I would use ISO 68 viscosity, the next grade thicker than 46. High 20, low 3O SAE grade. Much better up to 160F, or intermiitent to 180 maybe.

The universal tractor fluids are ok too, but my preference is still the the AW hydr fluid. Just keep a couple gallons spare in case you loan it out, so someone does not put motor oil in with the hydr fluid. Doesn't hurt things, but then starts to hold water more.

kcj

use what ever splitter mfg specifies. that way if any problems should arise. they can't blame it on wrong fluid.

loads of folks have used both...

One time I screwed up and used ATF, thinking it was steering fluid, to fill my master cylinder on my four-wheeler, because I didnt have brake fluid on hand. The ATF ate all of the seals in the master cylinder within minutes, leaving me to buy a new master cylinder. The mechanic told me ATF contains petrolium products that will eat away at rubber seals. Obviously a splitter is not a four-wheeler, but if the mechanic was correct, maybe caution should be taken and manufactures recommedations should be followed.

splitter oil

Here in Michigan we get pretty wide temp swings so I like to use a tractor oil called Low Vis Hydra guard

Great anti wear qualities and hydo preformance take a look at your local TSC or John deere dealer its about 8-10 bucks a gal.

Mark...

Q and used ATF, thinking it was steering fluid, to fill my master cylinder on my four-wheeler, because I didnt have brake fluid on hand. The ATF ate all of the seals in the master cylinder within minutes, leaving me to buy a new master cylinder. The mechanic told me ATF contains petrolium products that will eat away at rubber seals.

Brake fluids are glycol based so they have different seals in brake cylinders. Nothing unusual in ATF that caused that problem, but any oil product (oil, atf, power steering fluid) would have caused the seals to swell dramatically. Conversely, brake fluid in oil systems would have attacked the seals also.
Some trucks use petroleum based fluid in clutch and brakes.
Important to keep the two fluid bases separated !

kcj

i'm using ATF in mine...18 gallons worth.

no problems that i'm aware of.

One time I screwed up and used ATF, thinking it was steering fluid, to fill my master cylinder on my four-wheeler, because I didnt have brake fluid on hand. The ATF ate all of the seals in the master cylinder within minutes, leaving me to buy a new master cylinder. The mechanic told me ATF contains petrolium products that will eat away at rubber seals. Obviously a splitter is not a four-wheeler, but if the mechanic was correct, maybe caution should be taken and manufactures recommedations should be followed.

Reaperman, Did you catch that about not using anything but brake fluid for a brake system? I know they might look close to the same, but as kevin said, the oil attacks the seals in the brake system and vice versa you cannot put brake fluid in where it calls for power steering fluid or ATF:dizzy:

Reaperman, Did you catch that about not using anything but brake fluid for a brake system? I know they might look close to the same, but as kevin said, the oil attacks the seals in the brake system and vice versa you cannot put brake fluid in where it calls for power steering fluid or ATF:dizzy:

You should know by now that real men dont read directions, they would rather pay for stupid mistakes. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back