oil/gas mix Q?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68kaiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i am new to the site and it looks like you all no a lot about saws. i just got a old husky saw it is a 1100 CD and the book says to use 1 part oil 25 parts gas or 4% mix. i have asked a few people and they all say to use a differant mix. i dont want to burn the saw up, what should ratio of oil/mix should i use
thanks nick.........

I agree with Turbo. 32:1 with a good 2 stroke oil is fine. Don't ask what a good one is, that will start a whole other topic. Just buy one with a name you recognize that is meant for air cooled engines, not marine use. If it says "Husqvarna", it's good, if it says "Stihl" you can still use it, the world won't come to an end, or a major oil company...these are just examples. If it says "Uncle Bob's Special 2 Stroke Oil"...don't buy it.

Mark

I just love these oil mix threads...seems like this pops up now and then.

I visit a gardening forum now and then, and some of the same questions pop up regularly...finally the administrators put up a page of FAQ's to make it easy for newbies that may not have seen some of the old threads. Even that engendered some controversy...if a newbie shows up looking for advice on planting sweet corn and gets his info right away, maybe he won't participate after that. In the end we all agreed that he probably wouldn't anyway.

Here are the general points we all tend to agree on, regarding oil:

Those old 16:1, 20:1, 24/25:1, and sometimes even 32:1 recommendations were for older saws with looser tolerances, and more importantly, older oils with looser spec's The only two-strokes made any more that really want the higher oil ratios are the really low=end stuff like the little Techumseh power unit on mini-tillers and a few ice augers.

If you choose modern, name-brand, high-test oils, oils labeled "service TC" (the lowest spec) or better yet, "Jaso FC", and "ISO L-EGD" you can pretty much trust it in any air-cooled product. I won't advise running an old saw from the 50's at 40:1, but I run everything I own at 32:1 without trouble...including a 1949 McUlloch 3-25. At 32:1 I don't have trouble with low plug life, port fouling and ring sticking, so it seems OK for the modern stuff, and the antiques seem to tolerate it just fine. That allows me to have one can of mixed gas.

I was at a home improvement store recently and saw a syringe-like doodad for sale allowing the user to measure oil precisely for as little as a pint of gas. 1 TBSP oil is 32:1 in a pint of gas! Seems like too much fooling around for me!

thanks for the info. i also have a old pioneer P50 that takes 16:1. i like the idea of useing one mix for all the saws as EYOLF says. 32:1 is what i will try thanks for helping me with my stupid question.

68kaiser said:
...thanks for helping me with my stupid question.

Nope, not a stupid question. But have you tried the search feature? This gets talked about every now and then, and there's a wealth of knowledge regarding oil mix ratios already contained within the site. It might shed some more light on it for you. ;)

Welcome to AS.:biggrinbounce2:

Jeff

Back