oil in governers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_lopa

Overhead downunder
Reaction score
i remember someone saying there governer failed,was it due tio oil?

Last edited:
Many governors are open to and oiled by the engines oil. I am assuming that if yours is dry it is belt driven and has its own oil level. If you cant find any manufacturer specific recommendations I am pretty sure either engine oil or power steering would do the job. Check that seal.

10W-30 Will do just fine that was my Governor that cracked due to lack of oil. 695.00 Later I Assure you that oil will be checked and changed along with the engine oil!

it was your suprise that made me think id better check,ive put hydraulic fluid in it,knowing my mechanical acheivements itll blow now LOL,i can beleive its been bone dry.

Fill it until the oil runs out of the fill hole. If its been dry for a while the shaft seals will probably seap. But at least now it will be lubricated!

Aussie, Thanks for bringing this up again. (And David, thanks again for sharing). When David made his original post I went at looked at my belt driven governor and didn't see a fill point so I kind of forgot about things and assumed it was a difference in governors. Since Aussie brought it up again and the discussion included belt driven govs on Fords I checked again. I found a plug, pulled and dipped a stick.-Almost empty! I filled it up and am feeling much better now. :)

How often are they supposed to be checked? Do you ever have to change the oil? Like a car or truck power steering fluid.They say to check and never have to change the fluid. But after 5 or 6 years I like to change the fluid if I plan on keeping the vehicle.

Hey Stumper, where did you find the plug? I have a Ford inline six on my Brush Bandit with a belt driven governor , but I couldn't find the plug. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
Redbull, On mine it was located on top (good thing-it would have been tough to fill from the bottom :p )> if you are looking at it from in front of the engine/in front of the drive pulley it is left and front of center. A small bolt with 7/16ths head is screwed into the case.

Thanks! I wasn't even aware of the need to check this. I didn't get a manual when I got my chipper. Thanks for the info.

I've always been told not to completely top them off, as they have no means to let off pressure and/or provision for fluid expansion due to heat. The only place it has left to go is out through the seals. I fill mine with 5W30, and dip it to make sure I have 1/2 inch (1.5cm or so in Oz :) ) unfilled at the top. Just what I've been taught, Can't prove it although mine uses oil, but doesn't leak any that I can tell. When I used to top it off, it leaked out of the pulley shaft seal.
-Ralph

The one I replaced has a Fill hole at about the middle of the Gov. I'll Keep this one filled to that level 695.00 was a lesson learned! The one on the 6cyl has a oiler hole on the top I give it a few squirts now and again i havent noticed a level screw in the side like the 4 cyl has. Looks like the same one A_Lopa has on his unit. Does yours have a fill plug on the side?

While we are on the Subject The Company i purchased the new Gv from told me to Make sure the belt was not Tight that it would eat up the Bearing in the unit. That also applies to the water pump a chipper engine shouldn't need either very tight. Actually he told me neither belt needed to be near as tight as what you would run on a vehicle.

Mines a straight 6 ford, with the same gov aussie showed, only has fill hole at the top.
Good advice on the belts, I tend to tighten them too much as it is, my father in law does heat/air and deals with belt driven blowers a lot. He's always telling me they don't need to be that tight!
-Ralph

begleytree said:
Mines a straight 6 ford, with the same gov aussie showed, only has fill hole at the top.
Good advice on the belts, I tend to tighten them too much as it is, my father in law does heat/air and deals with belt driven blowers a lot. He's always telling me they don't need to be that tight!
-Ralph

The Fan Bearing assembly on that motor is right at 250.00 Remember that when snugging up those belts..... :cry:

Latest posts

Back