Oil in the air filter element

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I already searched for this so bear with me. I have a stihl 460 that has what seems to be 2 stroke oil coating the air filter element. Should I have it tuned or is this indicative of something else?

I have a small amouint on the filters on my Echo blower and pole saw. The blower is 1990 vintage and has been used a lot. A smaller amount on the pole saw. My CS355T and ES250 don't exhibit this, but they're newer.

Excessive spitback is caused by a worn or damaged intake skirt.
As the piston goes down, the bottom of the skirt closes the intake port, and the resulting pressurized mix gets transfered up through the transfer ports. When clearance is too much the fuel charge leaks, or sprays back out of the carburetor.
Over time, the fuel mixture spitback can get on the air filter and can make it wet. The gas evaporates, but the oil accumulates and stays, causing airflow restriction.
I clean the main HD air filters with lacquer thinner, acetone, or B12 carb cleaner. Get it thoroughly wet then blow it out with compressed air.
*Shield your face from errant liquid coming coming back at you. (I speak from experience).:eek:

Latest posts

Back