Oil pump that won't self prime?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have a Pioneer Farmsaw that stopped oiling so I took it apart and found a broken oil supply line. Cleaned up the pump, replaced the line and everything looked good so put it all back together. I thought I would test it while it was still on the bench so I pulled the plug and attached an electric drill to the clutch and spun the engine over. No oil appeared. Thinking this is an old saw with MANY hours on it, maybe there was just enough wear in the pump to prevent it from developing enough suction to pull the heavy weight summer oil up the supply tube, so I found a cork that fit the oil tank filler hole, drilled a hole in it and installed a fitting that would let me pressurize the tank with my crankcase tester. A little pressure in the tank and a little more spinning with drill and the oiler started to work and continues to do so. Wish every oiling problem was this easy to solve.

I have run into this many times on all brands of saws. The displacement of your average oil pump isn't enough to generate suction when dry. A slight amount of pressure in the tank (as you did) almost always gets things going.

I have run into this many times on all brands of saws. The displacement of your average oil pump isn't enough to generate suction when dry. A slight amount of pressure in the tank (as you did) almost always gets things going.

When you do that to a John Deere 80v (Echo 750 evil) you push bar oil past some ‘O’ rings into the crankcase. [emoji37]

I locked that puppy up! [emoji90]

Latest posts

Back