Oil pump ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older (9 yrs) Craftsman 2.6 saw. It's served me well with no problems till now. It seems that the bar is not getting much oil when cutting. When I take the clutch cover off there is alot of oil built up in side. I clean the cover and bar after each use. So my question is this a sign of the pump failure or something else? I know my saw is not a quality saw to begin with but if I can repair it with little cost I'd like to keep it going. It's a good trim saw around the house.
Thanks !

I will make a guess.....

It has one of those nifty "Intenz" bars, and does not have the traditional
bar tightening screw..............

You are always battling a loose chain?

Oregon does not cruise this forum for any practical input, nor are they trolling for any "stellar" or "up and coming techs", so you guys can be honest, and not "suck" up.
Engineers, abhor any "advice" or "input", unless it was from their
professor when they were cranking out their thesis/book/etc...
Real life experiences from people that work on this **** for a living is
not worth reading, as these guys are morons.
Since this group here capitulated, and totally sucked up to the Oregon
guys, since they are pushy willows, they should not be relied on for anything.

But then again, I might be wrong.......................................

Bdog said:
I have an older (9 yrs) Craftsman 2.6 saw. It's served me well with no problems till now. It seems that the bar is not getting much oil when cutting. When I take the clutch cover off there is alot of oil built up in side. I clean the cover and bar after each use. So my question is this a sign of the pump failure or something else? I know my saw is not a quality saw to begin with but if I can repair it with little cost I'd like to keep it going. It's a good trim saw around the house.
Thanks !
Try running the saw without the bar and chain. That is the simplest way to see if it's pumping oil. Then you will know which direction to go in.

The model # is 358.352680. Thanks for the replies. I'll try the no bar chain thing and see what happens. In looking in another manual I have they recommend running the saw over a light colored surface to see if a spray mark is left, thus the pump is working. Thanks!

I'd also suggest runnign it without the bar. Are you running bar oil? I know this is a dumb question but I've seen a lot of saws with everything from used motor oil to STP or Gear Oil in the oiler resavoir.

Also, I've had luck with blowing backwards through the pump with a low pressure air hose. Helps to remove any crap from the lines. Worst case....time to buy a shiny new saw....always a good idea.

I'm using bar oil Poulan brand I think. I'll try running without the bar today. The thing that gets me, is when I take the clutch cover of there is allot of oil and chip build up on the cover. There just doesn't't seem like any is getting to the bar & chain. Thanks.

I had a problem like this with a Large Pull-on PRO that was the powerhead for a Ventmaster Emergency Saw for Fire Departments (Yes we work on those also). The pump's nylon gear was partially sheared which allowed the pump to turn at low RPM but anything past idle it would stop turning. Want to think expensive...Bar and Chain for that saw is over $350.00

I'm leaning toward DOLMARS suggestion of using low pressure air and back-blowing. I've had to do this on several occasions and it seems to have worked. Also have filled the oil tank with diesal fuel and run for a couple minutes. Works well also.
Goodluck.

Sorry for yesterday's drunken rant, and my unwarranted attack on Oregon's
finest.....

Looking at the saw's blowup, now that you supplied the model number, I
see you have a conventional bar adjusting screw.
But still look to the area where the bar mounts, as it sounds like you have cracked plastic there, allowing the oil to be pumped there, but since the
plastic area that holds the studs is pulled out/broken, it does not get
into the bar passages, but splooges out around it.
It is quite common on Poulan's that came out with a certain Oregon bar
product.
As for my drunken rant, drawing a line in the sand/snow, it is just my way.
I mean nothing really by it, I like you guys, really................

I humbly apologize....... humbly....................

Ok, so I tried some newspaper on a stump and ran the saw over the paper and little to no spray marks left on paper. The little that was there seemed to come from oil running on and off the sprocket. I then took bar & chain off the saw and ran. The pump was working. I still can't figure out why it's not reaching the chain& bar though... I checked the studs and surrounding area, all looks fine. I cleaned the bar and clutch area good and tried again with the same results. Not sure what to even try next. Thanks for all the great replys!

Hate to ask more dumb questions but is your bar clean? Are the oil passages open and the chain rail clean? If there are aluminum/tin pieces sandwiching th bar are they in place? Clean it all up, pull everthing off that can easily be removed and look for damage. This sounds like a clogged bar or something is assembled backwards. Eyeball the oil passages and follow the path from the tank all the way to the bar rail if possible.

When I had the saw apart today , I took the bar and cleaned it real good. Washed it down with break clean. Got both holes top and bottom sprayed out rails flushed real good. Even when clean and I run it a while without cutting and take cover off, There's alot of oil all around the inside of cover and bottom of saw.

Clogged Bar

Bdog , when you clean the bar are you cleaning out the channel and the slot between the sprocket and the bar ? Does the oiler output slot line up with the bar oiler hole ? Have you ever rinsed out the oil tank , there is a small oil filter (screen or wound wire)in the bottom of the tank . Check the oil tank vent . Is it cold enough that the bar oil needs thinning ?

Last edited:
Back