oil question of the hour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dolmar 7900 manual states:

Dolmar Oil 50:1
Other Oil 40:1

I think it is just the manufacturer protecting themselves. They know the quality of their own oil but who knows if a consumer would try to use some 30 year old Homelite oil that isn't of the same quality.

I run Stihl Ultra 40:1 in all my saws.

It creates a false economy with their oil. You mentally discount 20% if you know math and aren't thinking it through.

There are standards.

Mark

I don't mind oil threads. Really!

If you look on the shelves down at your local hardware store, farm store, auto parts , etc. you'll find all sorts of stuff that says it's OK to use in everything from your hotsaw to the door hinges on your outhouse. Some of it really is good stuff, some is yesterday's news.

The really fun part is that the average happy homeowner really won't use his saw long enough to learn what low quality oil does. Even if you used outboard oil from 1970, your saw would last through more hrs than a lot of people put on them.

So, you can use the premium synthetics and get maybe 600 hrs on a saw; use the best dino oils and get 500, or use Lawn-boy or generic TC oils and get 400 hrs. Use old TC-W and get 150-200 hrs. That's still about 20 semi-loads of firewood if you can file chain at all!

If I don't get at LEAST 2500 hours, i'll be pissed!

I just want my saws to last me long enough to pass them on to my 2 sons when they are old enough, who are currently 6, and 10 months.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:
2500?
really?

Not many of us would do that. Kind of takes all the fun out of life...hardly ever get to shop for a new saw.

Edit: I was thinking that most saw users would trade/replace after 500 hrs, rather than serious maintenance; It just isn't any fun to use a saw that doesn't have all its balls anymore. It takes me a few years to wear one out; how else am I gonna justify getting more?

Last edited:
Actually, i wasn't kidding... 2500 is easy to get on on a pro stihl saw.. a lifetime or two for a non-pro users.. which is why I work on 30 year old Stihl's every day.

Actually, i wasn't kidding... 2500 is easy to get on on a pro stihl saw.. a lifetime or two for a non-pro users.. which is why I work on 30 year old Stihl's every day.

Are you counting replacing rings or pistons, or what would you consider normal maintenance?

Nope... Maybe clutch drum and springs, recoils, the odd buffer, airfilters, fuel filters etc, but the basic engine will hang togther just fine...

Nope... Maybe clutch drum and springs, recoils, the odd buffer, airfilters, fuel filters etc, but the basic engine will hang togther just fine...

So, the engine, crankcase, seals, piston, cylinder will last for 2,500. Aren't nearly all pro saws constructed extremely similarly in these areas?

why shouldn't one brand promote their oil in the best interest of the life of that saw. We all know if you run crap oil you stand a good chance of ruining your engine-so do they!

I just want my saws to last me long enough to pass them on to my 2 sons when they are old enough, who are currently 6, and 10 months.

Good looking Boys,,,,and saw,,,,, If you take care of them and you dont use them commercially ,,,,,,,they ought to make it,,,, :clap:

Last edited:

Andy just mentioned the biggest assett of a Stihl chainsaw : its durability.

If you tinker enough on oldtimers, it just amazes you everyday how these old stihls keep running without major problems. A carb kit and a few hoses is mostly all you need.

Same with old dolmars. However, finding old Huskies that are in good shape after 30 years is somewhat a challenge...but they are a pleasure to run in the years that they last.

If you are serious about letting your descendants enjoying your saws, Stihl is the biggest insurance you can get. :)

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Cute boys, Is the saw a little out of proportion for them!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

For the 10 months old? You better stay with JASO FC or FD oil only!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Cute boys, Is the saw a little out of proportion for them!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

For the 10 months old? You better stay with JASO FC or FD oil only!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks, and I do have the smaller 338 that they could use for now...In time.

Back