Oil Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 OIL 9980 GAS
This is my confusion, it can’t be, because that’s not 50:1

You maintained the same amount of oil (20ml’s) which would be correct for 1L to make 50:1 but reduced the fuel amount (980ml).

This is why I can’t figure it out and it’s bugging me! It has to be a percentage of both.

There must be a very simple equation to figure it out, but so far it hasn’t come to me.

Thanks for the message none the less!

There's an extra 9 in there. 20ml oil, 980ml fuel, not 9980ml. That'll actually be slight richer than 2% or 50:1 because of the fuel volume the oil took up, but close enough for the girls I go out with or the saws I run.

This is my confusion, it can’t be, because that’s not 50:1

You maintained the same amount of oil (20ml’s) which would be correct for 1L to make 50:1 but reduced the fuel amount (9980ml).

This is why I can’t figure it out and it’s bugging me! It has to be a percentage of both.

There must be a very simple equation to figure it out, but so far it hasn’t come to me.

Thanks for the message none the less!
There is 1 gallon of gas is 128 oz so all I do to find how many oz of oil I need is for example 35/1 128/35=3.6 oz of oil I’m sure you can convert that into metric

Hey, how can .980ml fuel and 20ml’s of oil be 50:1 mix if 20ml’s requires 1L to be 50:1?

It's mixed in a larger container, no constraints on container size and it's mixed to a 2% concentration. If 1L of the mixture is drawn out then 2% of that liter is oil, the fraction of the original volume doesn't change the fact that the withdrawn mixture is still a 2% mixture. If you started with 1 liter of gasoline and made a 2% mix you would have more than a liter of mix.

In other words, 1 part in 50 is oil. Your total mixed volume is 50 parts made up of 49 parts gasoline and 1 part oil. Mix ratio should really read as final concentration but that's too much math for the average person. Ideally a 50:1 oil mixture is a 2% concentration, working in American units a 50:1 mix usually calls for 2.5oz per gallon which also doesn't actually equal 50:1 per your math but it's really close to "1 part of 50". The factory isn't going to measure out 1000L of gas and add 20L of oil, they're going to make 1000L of final product at 2% concentration and label it 50:1 premix. Any one liter of that is going to have 20ml of oil in it, mix ratio is purely consumer labeling so as not to confuse people with technical data.

If fuel and oil have been mixed at the factory in a large container at 50:1, then 1 litre is syphoned into a can, how many mililitres of that mix is fuel and how much is oil?
The biggest problem I see with this question is that it's not in gallons and ounces :laughing:.
Honestly, why does it matter, it's 50:1, if you want more oil then add a splash, its a universal measurement that works up here as well as down there:cheers: .
Now if you would like to know what the proper mix ratio is I'd be happy to help get that conversation started :cool:.

The biggest problem I see with this question is that it's not in gallons and ounces :laughing:.
Honestly, why does it matter, it's 50:1, if you want more oil then add a splash, its a universal measurement that works up here as well as down there:cheers: .
Now if you would like to know what the proper mix ratio is I'd be happy to help get that conversation started :cool:.

But when you drain the fuel mix to rebuild the saw- does it pour out the filler in a clockwise or anti clockwise orientation depending on which side of the equator you are pouring from?
And is that ounces per weight, or fluid ounces by volume??? :dizzy::laugh:

You guys need to learn basic math. 1L of fuel mix at 50:1 contains .980393157L of fuel and .019607843L of oil. Add those two up and it should = 1.

+1

If it's mixed at 50:1 that means there are 50 parts gas mixed with 1 part oil, for a total of 51 "parts."

50 out of 51 parts are gasoline. 50/51 = about 98.04% gasoline. If a liter of mix is 98.04% gasoline, then there will be 980.4 ml of gasoline in it.
1 out of 51 parts are oil. 1/51 = about 1.96% oil. If a liter of mix is 1.96% oil, then there will be 19.6 ml of oil in it.
980.4 ml + 19.6 ml = 1000 ml = 1 liter

But when you drain the fuel mix to rebuild the saw- does it pour out the filler in a clockwise or anti clockwise orientation depending on which side of the equator you are pouring from?
And is that ounces per weight, or fluid ounces by volume??? :dizzy::laugh:
I usually run them out of fuel before pulling the cylinder, just did that on a 372xpg today, so I'm not sure, I'll get back with you.
The ounces your using man :laugh: .

Serious question, how are the bottles of mix labeled, ours are usually for one gallon at 50:1, 2 gallons at 50:1, or 2.5 gallons at 50:1 for the smaller bottles of oil. If I want 40:1(which I do) I just add the bottle to .8 gal, 1.6 gallons, or 2 gallon(even though this one isn't exact iirc).

I usually run them out of fuel before pulling the cylinder, just did that on a 372xpg today, so I'm not sure, I'll get back with you.
The ounces your using man :laugh: .

Serious question, how are the bottles of mix labeled, ours are usually for one gallon at 50:1, 2 gallons at 50:1, or 2.5 gallons at 50:1 for the smaller bottles of oil. If I want 40:1(which I do) I just add the bottle to .8 gal, 1.6 gallons, or 2 gallon(even though this one isn't exact iirc).

Seriously..... how are they labeled?....... with ink from a printer of course!
Or are you asking how the rest of the normal world labeled compared to that funny American method of gallons (that are specific to America- not like British gallons) and fluid ounces?

Latest posts

Back