Oil Seal suppliers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do any sponsors sell generic oil seals, or is there a good place to order them online? Looked locally to no avail for national seals. Napa was no help, neither was the local bearing shop.

Do any sponsors sell generic oil seals, or is there a good place to order them online? Looked locally to no avail for national seals. Napa was no help, neither was the local bearing shop.

Good luck. I have been through the same battle with no luck what so ever. Only place I have found is the generic kits on Ebay other than OEM.

RE: Oil Seal Suppliers

Bantasaw.com is the only place that I have found on-line to buy oil seals.
They are located in Warkworth, Ontario, Canada. The complete gasket kits include the oil seals.

They have saved me the hassle and extra expense of ordering these items from the dealer on more than one occasion. I have no connection or affiliation to the company whatsoever. Otherwise, I am open to alternative sources.

Good luck.
Rotarysound

>>

So far, I have just been able to have the local auto parts store(a local chain) get them for me. He measures I.D and O.D. and makes sure to get a double lip. No trouble so far. Only have needed them for 490, 621/70/920, 520, and 52. Don't know where he orders them from. I am just glad he can get them for me.

If you know the dimensions of the old seal,you can look them up here.You need "bore size"(the hole or recess it fits into),"shaft size"(the size of the rotating shaft) and "Depth"(how thick front to back).
Open the link and click on "Product Data".Be patient,if it's a standardized part (most are) it will be listed.

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=4_1_3

Happy Hunting.

Most competent bearing supply outfits can set you up with high quality seals if you give them the O.D. of the seal, shaft diameter, and thickness of the seal. Most bearings are standard sizes as well and are commonly available. Make sure you are clear of the application and they will get you the right materials and construction. Most times they will even have double lip options as well as the single lip type seals and high quality C3 fit bearing options if you talk them through what you are doing.

I'm sure Motion Industries is a good choice, I use Bearing Service/BDI in Waterloo, IA on a regular basis and they are not only pretty fast but reasonably priced as well. Check the yellow pages for your local supplier options.

There are a few saws that have special seal and/or bearing requirements (Stihl 066 PTO side comes to mind) but most saws I've worked on have more or less standard parts available.

Thanks guys, looks like motion industries has the seals that I am looking for. Apparently they have a location in Bangor, about 10 minutes away. Surprised it didn't come up before when I was searching. I contacted a local bearing shop and they said they didn't have any seals that small.

Thanks again.

:cheers:

Going to stop by Motion industries in a bit, and will let you know how it goes. They list the national seal number that I need on their website, the one that modifiedmark gave for the older JRed saws.

bama: Why the double lip? Is it a better option? The NOS seal I have here is a single lip, well as far as I can tell.

himwill: KSC direct does have some great prices, how about shipping? I found a couple places that sell the seals, but then hit you with $15 shipping for 2 seals.

Thanks again guys.

Double lip seals are used when it it desireable to provide better sealing in both directions through the seal.

A typical single lip seal provided excellent sealing in one direction (where the pressure pressed the lips against the shaft) and less efficient sealing in the other where the pressure tends to lift the lip. A double lip seal is not quite like two single lip seals installed back to back, but does provide improved sealing opposite the main lips. I have used both with good success on several of my saws but keep in mind most of mine don't get run for hundreds of hours a year so I may not be the best test case.

We use some large bearings (240 mm I.D.) on machines that we build and we always install the seals with the lips out so the bearings can purge excess grease. At the same time, the lips pointing out help prevent contaminates from getting into the bearings. We are currently looking at some double lip seal options to help minimize the grease that purges from the bearings since we have to add something like 10-12 ounces to each bearing per month.

Mark

Last edited:
Double lip seals are used when it it desireable to provide better sealing in both directions through the seal.

A typical single lip seal provided excellent sealing in one direction (where the pressure pressed the lips against the shaft) and less efficient sealing in the other where the pressure tends to lift the lip. A double lip seal is not quite like two single lip seals installed back to back, but does provide improved sealing opposite the main lips. I have used both with good success on several of my saws but keep in mind most of mine don't get run for hundreds of hours a year so I may not be the best test case.

We use some large bearings (240 mm I.D.) on machines that we build and we always install the seals with the lips out so the bearings can purge excess grease. At the same time, the lips pointing out help prevent contaminates from getting into the bearings. We are currently looking at some double lip seal options to help minimize the grease that purges from the bearings since we have to add something like 10-12 ounces to each bearing per month.

Mark

Thanks Mark that makes sense. These are going in old Jonsered saws that won't be used much either. I will stick with the original single lip in the old saws, but will use double lip seals in the future on saws that will be used on a regular basis.

HimWill: KSC direct does have some great prices, how about shipping? I found a couple places that sell the seals, but then hit you with $15 shipping for 2 seals.

Thanks again guys.

Their shipping costs are reasonable,they will send you an Email if what you ordered (exact brand) is not available and give you some alternative choices.If you do not respond to the Email in a day or two,they will call you on the phone and give you the information.Pretty high level service for these days,even on small (dollar wise) orders.
Once you familiarize yourself with using the SKF lookup,there aren't many bearings and seals that you cannot find.The manufacturers will use a standardized part if possible,there are a few instances where you run into custom bearings and seals but not as many as you would think.The manufacturers are watching costs of each component very closely and having to contract a run of custom bearings and seals is not cost effective.At times there is no way around it,but by and large they go with what's the least expensive,ie standardized parts.

bearings, and seals

I used to order alot of bearings and seals to repair, industrial bandsaws, pneumatic, electric, and gas powered tools as well as chemical dispensing equipment, and hydraulic systems. Through mcmastercarr, grainger, msc, and aplace called bearing supply as long as You can spec a seal or bearing out you could usually find one betwen those guys that You needed.

I think it would be neat if we had our own cross-reference data bank for replacing bearings & seals by saw model. It would be nice to have that option available as long as the parts fit properly and are at least equivalent to, or better than, the stock OEM ones.

Lakeside had mentioned some off-the-shelf substitute bearing applications for some Stihl models. I would be interested in crank bearings (& seals) for an 08S/S10 & a 2100CD if anyone has any cross-over information on those models. :cheers:

Just got back from motion industries, they are ordering the seals for me and sending them to my address. Pretty good deal, got 4 of them for right about $16 shipped.

When they get here I will post pics so you can see the difference.

Urbicide that is a good idea for the cross reference, you're in charge. :)

Latest posts

Back